[Vision2020] one final thing

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Jun 9 09:52:45 PDT 2006

You would like me to feel chastened and chagrined.  I don't.

You would like us to see you as patiently enduring yet another round of
persecution.  You aren't.

No one has identified the family -- and you continue, by the way, to promote
the idea that there is only one family whose children were victimized.  They
have not been identified, and "they" are, by all accounts, not just one
family.

You are terribly interested in promoting your righteous indignation and
scorn for people who take joy in the suffering of anyone involved in your
life.   How vicious of you -- both for your scorn and your martyrdom.  Do
you really think that you are important enough to trump even the horror of
sexual abuse in the minds of people in your community?  Or has it occurred
to you that after yet another problem emanating from your flock, people have
cast a jaded eye on you and yet still manage to reserve tenderness and mercy
for those affected?

How dare you dispatch Roy Atwood to dazzle a young cub reporter by twisting
the focus of the story she's writing about a pedophile in your church to an
irrelevant comment about the perversion of homosexuality?  You cry once
again about persecution -- who is using this for gain?  You accuse us of
that, and presume that our gain is offense-oriented.  But you've turned this
into a game of defense.  You demonize Metzler, Morin, Nolan, et al, and mock
London, Opyr, Huskey, and myself.  You bedazzle an unsuspecting community --
city officials, newspaper reporters, the masses who think you're just
another fundamentalist church -- with grandiose rhetoric and faux humility,
but you never seem to reflect on the damage your serrated edge, your
hand-rolled cigars, your nauseating Trinity Fests and your full-bearded
future men inflict on the community, beginning in your own church.

I can't fathom what kind of church culture you've constructed that would
impel a grieving family to report a crime against their children to you
first, but to most people not pastored by you, that seems more than a little
odd.  The fact that you seem to need to assure all of us, from the judge to
the first-time reader of Vision 2020, that Sitler didn't understand "the
magnitude" of his actions, but does now, is sickening.  What kind of
Christian education do you provide, what kind of Gospel witness do you
demonstrate, that makes an adult man unaware -- until he is availed of your
counsel, after the fact -- that genital contact with preschoolers is
unspeakably evil?  Wouldn't a prudent shepherd of the flock stop and wonder
what went wrong if the courtship model he promotes results in the obscenity
of a teenage girl being offered for courtship by a man 10 years her senior?
  Certainly you are not singularly accountable for those instances of rape,
but are you willing to consider that you're responsible for a church culture
that promotes unquestioned obedience to parents and pastor and that produces
young men who exhibit what could generously be described as deviant sexual
ethics?

But no, the problem is that we all wrongly think you're the bogeyman and
Lord, have mercy -- it's tough to be persecuted, especially by people who
look funny and drink bad beer.

Lord, have mercy, indeed.

keely