[Vision2020] Who was a friend of the big bad bear?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jun 7 12:28:24 PDT 2006

ToeKnee stated:

"Kissinger and McNamara initiated Vietnam?  Sorry Hon, our involvement there
preceded those two.  Also, if you'll recall, it was a democrat, Johnson, who
ratcheted up that conflict."

Check your history books, ToeKnee; those history books published outside of
Canon Press.

Back in 1949 Ho Chi Minh was attempting to seek independence for North
Vietnam from French Indochina.  He approached the US (Harry Truman), seeking
assistance.  Two things were wrong with Minh's timing:

1)  The US has been in a love affair with the French ever since Lafayette.
So, when the French said that Ho Chi Minh is a Commie, we believed him.

2)  We had developed an insufferable fear of the Soviet Union.  For the
longest time the US considered the Soviet Union to be somewhat
third-worldish.  So when the Soviets acquired the "Bomb", our fear was
substantiated.

After we had declined to assist Ho Chi Minh in his country's bid for
independence, he approached a local bully in his neighborhood, the Soviet
Union.  This virtually guaranteed France's allegation that Ho Chi Minh is a
Commie.

An thus, the fuse was lit in 1949.  Fifteen years later (1964) after our
fears of Communism and the dreaded "Domino Theory" in South east Asia had
grown into a cancer, we needed an excuse to tak eon those Commie-Pinkos of
North Vietnam.  The stage was set for the Gulf of Tonkin.

And the rest was history.  Eleven years and 58,007 lives later, we realized
that we made a mistake.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Seldom, if ever, has a war ended leaving the victors with such a sense of
uncertainty and fear -- with such a realization that the future is obscure
and that survival is not assured."

- Edward R. Murrow

  _____