[Vision2020] shamelessness

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Jun 6 22:44:12 PDT 2006

Mr. Wilson,

You need to repent of this aggressive and unnecessary response immediately,
before you hurt the victims any more. I have asked that the victims stop
being discussed on this forum; apparently, you do not find this important.
I have already confronted J Ford privately on publicly here on Vision 2020
(although I appreciate the fact she gets things right about as many times as
speculative James Jordan); but to continue your smear campaign against me,
you wish to merely lump me with anything that results publicly from any
exposure on this-and it is a big wide world out here on the web.  Unlike
your cozy, subservient group within your Kirk walls, out here in the open
air you have to put up with certain things: like folks who wish to challenge
Doug Wilson and good doses of rationality.  And as Wayne Fox has pointed out
many times, you also have to put up with things a little less pleasant.
Call it "camping" if you like; you don't have the silk sheets and the
glowing gas fireplace; you have some bugs and perhaps some rain that soaks
through the tent fabric. But at least it is a real world.

The fact that you would pick out what you consider the most outrageous claim
and mark it as the typical current foe is not surprising to us here; this is
perhaps the only trick you have left in your book of Rhetoric.  You just
love bouncing up and down on J Ford; this has become a hobby or yours. But I
never knew she was up to debating with you in public.  I've been requesting
such debate for months.  But who do you specifically go after?  Who really
is the coward here Wilson? Unlike how your servants in the Kirk treat what
falls from your lips each day, folks here realize that they should not
believe everything uttered to Vision 2020.  We are all adults here.  This
has been evidenced by other posts about this on Vision 2020 just today, such
as some of Sandra Lund's comments, in which she was very judicious with
respect to your claims of having informed your congregation of these things.

Do you really wish to go after free speech here?  You have gone after it in
countless ways in the past.  Why don't you make your position on free speech
clear and explicit for us on Vision 2020.

The mechanism for dealing with this?  Common sense, intuition, charity,
argument, rationality, and gaining respect in the public sphere are not bad
places to start.  You should try it; perhaps if you started, other kirkers
would follow and we could actually have fruitful exchanges between Christian
kirkers and the local community on the local community discussion forum.
There is also what folks have been calling the "bozo filter" mechanism.
This is just where you filter out those folks who really should not be seen
speaking in public-yet this is up to each individual's discretion.
Unfortunate for your attempt at an argument here, most those best fitted for
the Bozo Filter have actually been conservative of late, not "Moscow's
progressives and liberals."

Your continued talk about the "victims" here is ludicrous. I just posted
something more about this very point: http://poohsthink.com/?p=546

Hope to see you around Mr. Wilson, if you dare this much sunlight-where the
speech is public and free.

Yours

Michael Metzler

Visionaries,

Let's take just one thing at a time. J. Ford claims that I knew about Steven
Sitler's activities for two years without doing anything about it. In the
real world, where all this actually happened, the civil authorities were
contacted immediately, and no children were endangered by him from that
moment to this. Steven left Moscow immediately, and was allowed by the civil
authorities to wait for his trial in his home town, which is why the people
there were informed right away. When people here needed to be informed, they
were -- by responsible people who put the interests of the victims and their
families first, unlike Ford, Metzler, and the cohort of anonymous cowards
who post to Metzler's blog.

So I want to put this question to Moscow's progressives and liberals who
have watched a mania about me on the part of some become an unhealthy public
obsession. This mania is about to chew up some innocent people.

Do you approve of this behavior? What is your mechanism for dealing with
this kind of manufactured libel, all wool and a yard wide? Bill London, you
are the quasi-moderator here. Does your commitment to free speech on this
forum have any way of protecting the victims in this tragedy? What are you
going to do to keep one of the crazies here from posting their names, all
for the sake of making some obscure and telling point against me? What
responsibility does FirstStep have to protect the victims'

names? What responsibility does this forum have when one member of it
accuses someone of complicity in perverse and criminal activity for two
years, when what was actually done was to involve the police immediately?
Does J. Ford's libelous post get to just remain there? Is anybody going to
do anything about this? Are you people totally without shame?

To all those who have been discussing this enthusiastically, with about a
third of the facts, and /those /creatively arranged, I would make this
request. Michael Metzler, J. Ford, all you visionaries, this is a request I
am making on behalf of the victims' families. Please stop this discussion
right now. Drop it. All you are doing is gearing up for the second round of
abuse. Sitler provided the first round, and godless chatter here and
elsewhere is providing the second. When I talked to the victims' parents
about what Michael Metzler had done on his blog, and what was being done
here, do you think the response from them was more like, "Oh, good," or "Oh,
no"? Which response do you think it was?

Honestly, which? If you guessed the latter, you would be right, and that
should dictate what those with any sense of decency remaining will not write
about from here on out. Once again, the victims families feel quite
helpless, and Metzler's blog and this forum are the reason for it.

Do the right thing.

Douglas Wilson