[Vision2020] shamelessness

Douglas Wilson dougwils at christkirk.com
Tue Jun 6 21:58:31 PDT 2006

Visionaries,

Let's take just one thing at a time. J. Ford claims that I knew about
Steven Sitler's activities for two years without doing anything about
it. In the real world, where all this actually happened, the civil
authorities were contacted immediately, and no children were endangered
by him from that moment to this. Steven left Moscow immediately, and was
allowed by the civil authorities to wait for his trial in his home town,
which is why the people there were informed right away. When people here
needed to be informed, they were -- by responsible people who put the
interests of the victims and their families first, unlike Ford, Metzler,
and the cohort of anonymous cowards who post to Metzler's blog.

So I want to put this question to Moscow's progressives and liberals who
have watched a mania about me on the part of some become an unhealthy
public obsession. This mania is about to chew up some innocent people.
Do you approve of this behavior? What is your mechanism for dealing with
this kind of manufactured libel, all wool and a yard wide? Bill London,
you are the quasi-moderator here. Does your commitment to free speech on
this forum have any way of protecting the victims in this tragedy? What
are you going to do to keep one of the crazies here from posting their
names, all for the sake of making some obscure and telling point against
me? What responsibility does FirstStep have to protect the victims'
names? What responsibility does this forum have when one member of it
accuses someone of complicity in perverse and criminal activity for two
years, when what was actually done was to involve the police
immediately? Does J. Ford's libelous post get to just remain there? Is
anybody going to do anything about this? Are you people totally without
shame?

To all those who have been discussing this enthusiastically, with about
a third of the facts, and /those /creatively arranged, I would make this
request. Michael Metzler, J. Ford, all you visionaries, this is a
request I am making on behalf of the victims' families. Please stop this
discussion right now. Drop it. All you are doing is gearing up for the
second round of abuse. Sitler provided the first round, and godless
chatter here and elsewhere is providing the second. When I talked to the
victims' parents about what Michael Metzler had done on his blog, and
what was being done here, do you think the response from them was more
like, "Oh, good," or "Oh, no"? Which response do you think it was?
Honestly, which? If you guessed the latter, you would be right, and that
should dictate what those with any sense of decency remaining will not
write about from here on out. Once again, the victims families feel
quite helpless, and Metzler's blog and this forum are the reason for it.
Do the right thing.

Douglas Wilson