[Vision2020] shamelessness

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 23:28:30 PDT 2006

Doug --

I am at an impasse. You must realize that, in this situation, you are
representing someone else's interests -- someone whom I don't know,
and someone who, for their own privacy's sake, I have no desire to
know -- as being perfectly congruent with your own. This makes it
prima facie unbelievable. You have no desire to have your church's
policies criticized or your own conduct held up to public scrutiny,
or, as the case may be, slandered. And you are telling us that it
would be in the best interests of the child injured by Stiler that
Stiler's crime not be discussed in any public setting.

I've met you in person. I've always been clear, and I hope the members
of your church on this list find it clear, that I find your politics
repugnant, and your theology repugnant insofar as it influences your
politics. But this is a political disagreement, not a personal one,
and I am not willing to believe any slander about you simply because
it's a slander.

While the victims themselves are not a story, never were, and never
should be, you have made yourself a public figure. Your pastoral
conduct may have been beyond reproach, and I am not the only person
perfectly willing to believe that your defect of conscience is
restricted only to your belief in unjust heirarchies. But you run a
tight, well-documented church and you are well-aware that you run a
tight, well-documented church, and if the truth is on your side, the
truth will bear you out.

And what have Michael Metzler and J Ford said that even vaguely refers
to the victims? And what has Mike done but attempt to restrict the
flow of the conversation to your church's conduct, and not the
victims? You're referring to commenters on Mike's blog, but, of
course, this is rhetorical slight-of-hand I've seen before:
tarring-and-feathering someone with words someone else used. And while
you may feel that this is necessary to protect your church, or believe
that your opponents are a monolithic corps of robots piloted by Satan,
this doesn't excuse this tactic.

If this is libel, Doug -- and you have to realize that, in this
country, libel is maliciously promoted with the pre-existing knowledge
that it is false -- then black out the names, open your public
documents, like, for instance, your HOH memo, and put the rumors to
rest, because I want to hear libel as little as you do. You have an
impulse to secrecy, perhaps because you've been hurt by releasing
information before, but you have to realize that, if this were to just
go away, then it would go away for one of two reasons: (a) because you
ignored it, which you haven't done, or (b) because you simply opened
up the HOH document to prove you handled it well. It's as simple as
that.

So just do it and make the issue go away, won't you?

-- ACS