[Vision2020] Ped/Bike transportation options

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sat Jun 3 08:52:01 PDT 2006

Hi Nancy,

Thank you again for participating in this dialogue.  You state that
you hope your response helps clear any misimpressions and inspires me
to think twice about the excellent value we have in our trail
system.  I think you may have missed the early posts on this thread -
so I have compiled a scenario of excerpts of my comments that pertain
to the Latah Trail.  This may help you to focus on the issues that
are being discussed, rather than focus on my impressions and inspirations.

Initial post - May 27th, 8:45 pm

Should there be improved transportation queues? Of course. Who should
pay for them? Users, those in the immediate neighborhood or general
taxpayers?  The current model seems to be built around the view that
subdivision streets and sidewalks are covered by developers - which
means the cost is impounded in the price of the lot.  Arterials are
financed by general taxpayers.  Are their alternatives to this model?

Bike trails are an interesting element in the transportation mix.  I
had hoped that the Latah Trail would be a real solution for
encouraging walking and bike/traffic issues on the east side.  But
sadly (and I drive adjacent to the trail at least twice a day) I have
seen wholesale disregard for the trail as a traffic solution.  Each
day, I see more bikers and runners not using the trail - instead,
opting for using Palouse River Drive or Highway 8 for their trek.
This is puzzling.  It would be helpful to know why so many folks are
not using the trail. Now my post is not intended to infer that no one
uses the trail - each day I also see many folks walking with a
friend, walking a dog - ie, using the trail - my point is that there
are many opting to not use the trail.

Question, if a more extensive bike trail system were built, would it
be appropriate to mandate that bikers and walkers use the trails?

Second Post - 6-1-06, 6:45 am

I thought I made it clear in my post - my comments about trail
non-use referred specifically to the Latah Trail section - not the
Chipman Trail.  Chipman enjoys excellent use - although I still see a
fair number of bicyclists using the Airport Road rather than the trail.

Chipman may be a better investment (from a transportation point of
view) because it connects two specific destination points - UI to
WSU.  In developing additional trail components, destination points
may be an important critierion to consider.

It does seem appropriate that as bicycle use increases (as a
substitute for the high cost of driving and commuting) that there is
some mechanism for taxing bike riders for their share of developing a
trail network - similar to the tax on gasoline is used to build and
maintain highways, roads and streets.

Third Post to Joe Campbell 6-1-06 3:03 pm

1. I was not complaining - I simply made an observation - and a
correct one. I have no particular problem with bicycles riding on the
road  - and made not such inference. I do find it puzzling that with
a new trail some 20 ft from the highway (HWY 8), there are folks that
continue to walk/ride on road shoulder rather than the trail.

2. Actually, you are correct - by using your car less, you do pay
less "fuel tax".  Seems rather obvious to me. It also seems logical
that if you want more trails, you are gonna have to figure out how to
pay for it.  Do you have a problem with paying for the trails you
use?  But again, I did not state a position endorsing a fee - I
simply asked a question. By your statement that your are willing to
pay for roads since they help the community overall, you can send in
your contribution to the Idaho State Tax Commission.  You can ask
that those funds be added to the dedicated roadway trust fund.

Your tone suggests that you want to force a confrontation here - am I
misreading your response?  Are you looking for a fight or is this
just on some arbitrary partisan line that you have drawn?

Fourth Post to Joe Campbell - 6-3-06 3:37 pm

Alright Joe,

I accept you at your words - and will try to be direct as well.

First, I have not taken a position on this trail issue.  I merely
made an observation - numerous ones actually.  I travel Hwy 8 between
home and town frequently and at various times - from 6:00 am to
dark.  I recognize that the price of auto commuting is rising and
will increase the demand for bicycle traffic - as well as scooters,
motorcycles, skates, skate boards, pogo sticks etc - as alternative
forms of travel.  Before we fall into the "free rider" trap of a few
paying and lots benefiting from "perceived rights to use existing
resources as seen fit" model, I think it useful to consider
alternatives, consider needs, consider costs and consider the
resources needed to fund those "needs".  Most importantly, we should
consider who will pay.

Yes, I have ridden the trail many times (the portion between the
Waste Transfer Station and the old Tidyman's.  I really like it
because there is so little traffic. (therein lies the
conundrum).  Also,  I have helped clean it up

As to the tax issue, you don't seem to be getting my point - the tax
on fuel which is used to support the construction and maintenance of
roads is a perfectly progressive tax - the more you use fuel, the
more tax you pay.  Those on the left usually like those kinds of
taxes - you should be pleased.  The fact is - users of roads in fuel
tax states pay for their use of the roads.  Bike trails are very
different - some users pay, some don't.  Keep in mind, most of the
trail sections in our part of Idaho were paid for by donations and
grant proceeds. Can we sustain this form of funding?

Now then, should some of our tax revenue be shifted to trails and
trail maintenance? Probably.  Which ones?  Perhaps this dialogue will
offer some direction.  Should a new tax be created to build and
maintain trails - not, IMHO, if it doesn't charge the users directly
for their use of the trails.  Until bike traffic becomes the
predominant form of transportation in our society, bike trails are a
lot like sidewalks, forest service trails, ski trails, ATV trails,
horse trails - a secondary travel route.  What do all of those forms
of transportation venues have in common - they have a primary funding
source tied to the primary users.

Oh, one more thing you should note about my background in Moscow
travel.  Before I moved to a more rural part of the county, I biked
to work every day for 9 years.  Didn't have a trail to use but relied
on roads and sidewalks to get from home to work.  Never had a problem
- other than having to watch out for the 4000# vehicles and the
reckless frisbee golf players tossing aimlessly about!

OK - that provides all my comments on the Latah Trail up to the point
that you entered the dialogue.  Perhaps you can now appreciate why I
want to redirect your comments back on the issues raised rather than
my own impressions or as you state misimpressions.

Here is a summary of some of the trail issues that are important to me:

1. Why are some walkers/bikers choosing to not use the Latah Trail
when traveling east or west on Hwy 8 and/or Palouse River Drive?
2. If cause of non-use can be identified, is there something that can
be done to entice those folks on to the trail?
3. Should additional investments in bike trails be encouraged?
4. If yes, why - if no, why not?
5. If more trails should be built in Latah County, what criteria
should be used to determine where they should be built and who should
pay for them?
6. Should the primary objective of an expanded trail system be to
serve county/city residents as a transportation alternative to
motorized travel?
7. Should the primary objective of an expanded trail system be to
advance an economic development initiative that would attract bike
enthusiasts and other tourists (e.g., the Wallen Bridge as a tourist draw).
8. If both objectives are important - how are conflicts to be resolved?

Oh,  out of curiosity, has the Latah Trail Foundation, the County or
the Cities of Moscow, Troy or Kendrick done any travel counts on the
various sections of the trail network?  If so, are those counts available?

Thanks again for your comments. I look forward to your continued
interest in this thread.