[Vision2020] Ped/Bike transportation options

Nancy Chaney nchaney at moscow.com
Fri Jun 2 19:30:40 PDT 2006

Dear Jeff: You and I are referring to the same trail.  In fact, I am a
board member of the Latah Trail Foundation (helped craft the quote you
posted), and just today responded to an offer of assistance from the
Manager of Trail Development for the Western Regional Office of the
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy in San Francisco. In case this helps clear
up any misimpressions and inspires you to think twice about the
excellent value we have in our trails system, I offer my correspondence
to Ben (and copied to Mark McNeese, Bicycle Pedestrian Coordinator for
the Idaho Transportation Dept. in Boise):

Dear Ben,

I’m glad to hear that Mark is spreading the good news about our
developing trails system! Our non-profit Latah Trail Foundation has
worked with Latah County Commissioners to pave the 11-mile rail bed
between Moscow and Troy Idaho. Because the line was abandoned so long
ago, the route was ineligible for Rails-to-Trails conversion, and
right-of-way needed to be acquired outright from property owners with
reversionary deeds. With generous private contributions, three Idaho
Transportation Department enhancement projects, technical assistance
from the National Parks Service Rivers and Trails Program, and grants
from State Parks and Rec, we anticipate that project will be fully paved
by fall of 2006 or spring of 2007.

On the east, the Latah Trail connects with Troy’s City path. Our
Foundation aspires to extend the Latah Trail southward along the
abandoned rail bed—Part of the Moscow-Arrow line, I think--through a
beautifully wooded canyon from Troy to the Ed Corkill/Kendrick-Juliaetta
Trail along the Clearwater River. (Who knows? Maybe someday, we’ll make
it to Lewiston ID (home to the levy trail) and Clarkston WA, at the
confluence of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers.)

On the west, the Latah Trail connects with the City of Moscow’s Paradise
Path, a growing network of linear parks and non-motorized transportation
routes across the City. With the help of its volunteer Paradise Path
Task Force and cooperation from railroad and real estate interests,
Moscow recently secured east-west right-of-way across its breadth. Near
the western City limit, where we did have some Rails-to-Trails
participation, the Paradise Path connects with the Bill Chipman Palouse
Trail that follows the rail bed nine miles to Pullman WA, home to the
newly developed Riverwalk system along the Palouse River.

As you may know, the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes (reclaimed from the
railroad’s Silver Valley superfund site) and the Hiawatha Trail, both
north of us, have been hugely successful in promoting economic
development through tourism and recreational activities. Moscow is home
to the University of Idaho and Pullman is home to Washington State
University, so we have an ideal market for such amenities.

As Mayor of Moscow and a board member of the Latah Trail Foundation, I
am a strong supporter of trails. I will keep my ear to the ground for
projects that may be eligible for Rails-to-Trails assistance.
Regrettably, most of those with which I have been involved were not. I
encourage you to visit www.latahtrailfoundation.org and
http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/PR/PR%20Commission/Paradise%20Path%20Task%20F
orce%20Index.htm and invite you to come explore the growing network of
trails in our region. Thank you again for your interest!

Sincerely,

Nancy Chaney