[Vision2020] Escalation of claims NOT normal procedure

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 12:59:43 PDT 2006

Joan et. al.

Joan may remember the extreme vandalism committed against a vehicle I owned
in the spring of 2005.  I communicated with Joan at that time about this
incident.  The level of violence and destruction against said vehicle makes
Wilson's "harassment" look like a playful punch in the shoulder from a buddy
compared to a having someone drop kick your face into the pavement losing
your front teeth in a bloody fractured enameled mess.

My car windows were smashed out, doors frames bent, it looked like from
being impacted by a cinder block, tires flattened...The car had been pushed
or towed into the road from the parking area by the vandals, blocking
traffic.  Consider this was on a rural gravel road, the crime was committed
in the early morning hours on a Saturday, and my car was parked a distance
away from the residence.

When Latah Sheriff deputies showed up, having been notified by someone
driving that the road was blocked, they had my vandalized car towed,
sticking me with the 100 dollar tow bill.  I was sound asleep the whole
time.

After my car was towed away, the two Latah Sheriff deputies pounded on my
door, waking me up.  They informed me what had happened, and told me the
identity of the tow truck business where my car was being held.

And the main relevance of this story to the naming of "suspects" by Wilson
regarding the alleged "harassment?"

During my brief discussion of the vandalizing of my car with the Latah
Sheriff deputies, one of them asked if I had any enemies, or could give them
names of suspects.  I offered none.  Sure, I could have reeled off a list of
people who might or do have something against me for one reason or another.
But I felt I had nothing solid to go on to name anybody.

I am not as naive as some on this list who seem to think that offering the
police names of individuals who might be suspects in a crime, when you have
no solid evidence to implicate them, is a trifling issue.  I think it is
highly ethically questionable to implicate others in crimes without solid
grounds.

I could expand in great detail on this theme regarding the negative
consequences of my name being unfairly given to law enforcement to implicate
me in a crime, based on flimsy, unfounded "evidence."  This can damage
reputation, limit employment options, subject someone to embarrassing police
scrutiny, if not harassment, etc.

We see cases in the media where just naming someone as a suspect in a crime
does tremendous damage to the person named, even when later they are totally
exonerated.  And police reports are public documents, are they not?

It would appear so, given that the police reports in question are now on Tom
Hansen's web site.  I don't think law enforcement would release them to the
public if they were meant to be kept "secret," unless forced legally by some
means

Hansen, Metzler, et. al. are all justified in being very concerned about
this issue, in my opinion.

Ted Moffett