[Vision2020] Don't Slum Out to Wal-Mart

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 28 16:31:55 PDT 2006

>From today's (July 28, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special thanks
to Mike O'Neil of Pullman -

Don't slum out to Wal-Mart

I found the view of Don Pelton (Opinion, July 21) that Costco would be "zero
fit" for the local retail market a bit odd. As Janet Damm pointed out
(Opinion, July 25), Costco locates in many communities economically similar
to Pullman. When I shop at the Clarkston Costco I almost always encounter
Washington State University and University of Idaho students there. The guys
from the fraternity I advise make weekly trips to Costco. Indeed, every
single person I personally know in Pullman or Moscow shops at Costco, some
make several trips a month there.

I'm assuming that the big issue is the need to retain more of the shopping
dollar here in the Palouse region (and yes, especially in Pullman). We
already have a Wal-Mart in the area. As I previously observed (Opinion, June
5), I don't know anybody who travels out of town to shop at other Wal-Marts,
even "super sized" ones. If we had a "super sized" Wal-Mart, and even one in
Pullman, I predict that thoughtful consumers will continue to patronize the
higher quality vendors located in Moscow (some are even locally owned, such
as Tri-State) and then venture off to Lewiston-Clarkston, Spokane and the
Tri-Cities in pursuit of the kinds of shops they like to do business with.

We, like other communities have successfully done, should establish an
economic development office that works in concert with our Chamber of
Commerce to attract the types of retailers people want and will support.
Pullman deserves better and can attract better . we don't have to slum
ourselves out to Wal-Mart.

Mike O'Neil, Pullman

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the REALIST adjusts his sails."