[Vision2020] Today's Daily News Editorial: "Tax relief must start at home in Moscow"

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Jul 25 07:01:20 PDT 2006

Saundra,

I too am frustrated at the seemingly unstoppable rise in property
taxes but am very reluctant to draw the line at the city of Moscow
budget. As has been eloquently pointed out by the posting from Sen.
Werk, the Republican dominated legislature has been steadily shifting
the property tax burden from business to homeowners. As Rep. Trail
highlights, that same Republican shifting has occurred on the sales
tax through the many exemptions granted by the Legislature. As I
tried to pound home when I ran for the Legislature two years ago, the
same shift was blessed by the GOP when they embraced then Gov.
Kempthorne's income tax cut that lowered the corporate tax rate at a
greater ratio than the individual taxpayer.

The Legislature is in Boise, far away from Moscow and seemingly
uncaring about anything other than continuing GOP domination of Idaho
government. This from the party that as their tax policy darling
Grover Norquist says would like to trim down government so it will
fit in a bathtub. By pitting taxpayers against local government (the
only place they have a direct say in their taxes) they successfully
achieve their goal of stripping government of the ability to offer a
countervailing force to the "me first/no regulation" attitude of most
big business.

By the way, the City makes up about 25-30% of the Moscow taxpayer's
annual property tax bill so raising the city levy 3% is less than a
1% increase to the taxpayer. The rest of your tax bill goes to the
Moscow School District, bond levies approved by the voters (as in the
city pool), the county, library, highway district and the Moscow
cemetery.

Local government must still be responsible for explaining why
increases are needed and must still weigh the ability of the
community to support those taxes both economically and politically.
But they are not playing with a full deck... the Legislature is
holding all the aces.

Mark