[Vision2020] Today's Daily News Editorial: "Tax relief must start at home in Moscow"

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 24 16:45:56 PDT 2006

Visionaries:

It seems like it's not too often I find myself agreeing with the
Moscow-Pullman Daily News editorial board anymore, but I think today's
editorial makes some valid points.

Without getting into the merits of the specific proposals (some of which I
agree with, some of which I disagree with) that apparently necessitate such
an increase, I am absolutely disappointed and angry that for the third year
in a row, Moscow property owners are looking at a 3% property tax increase.
I am very blessed to live in a solidly middle-class family, but such an
increase won't be easy for us and will likely influence our
ability/willingness to support future public school bond levies or requests
for funding for other community needs.

For those interested, please scroll below my signature to read the
editorial.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****

"OUR VIEW: Tax relief must start at home in Moscow

By Steve McClure, for the editorial board
Published: 07-24-2006

Dirk Kempthorne rattled a few cages when he announced in January that
property tax relief was a local issue. In his State of the State address,
Idaho's then-governor appeared to be passing the buck on an issue that has
dominated discussion for the better part of a year.

When we chastised Kempthorne for his stance on taxes, it never occurred to
us that other elected officials would - in turn - assume property taxes were
only a state issue.

That seems to be the case, though, as the city of Moscow prepares its annual
budget with yet another hike in property taxes.

Mayor Nancy Chaney's initial budget calls for a 3 percent increase in
property taxes, the maximum allowed by state law. It's the same 3 percent
increase the city pushed through last year, and the year before.

As the City Council debated the various line items within Chaney's budget
and pushed their individual pet projects, no one stepped forward to question
the increased revenue requested from local taxpayers.

The property tax rate increase comes alongside previous increases in water
and sewer rates, and projected increases in an assortments of fees and
permits.

Meanwhile, the Idaho Legislature is mulling the idea of a special session
because folks are clamoring for some relief from property taxes. The city of
Moscow is not immune from feelings of frustration about the increasing tax
burden, and those footing the bill expect each level of government to tread
cautiously around their pocketbooks.

Certainly, the state plays a role in how much money a homeowner shells out
each year. That's why we found Kempthorne's approach to tax relief so
ludicrous in January.

It's equally as ludicrous to set forward a municipal budget with the
assumption that local folks don't mind shelling out more money because it's
the city asking rather than the state."