[Vision2020] seattletimes.com: Oregon woman arrested after calling 911 to ask return of "cute" deputy

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 09:26:00 PDT 2006

Joe,

Wouldn't that tend to turn 911 into a call-routing system?  I don't
particulary want to wait while I'm bleeding to death for the eight
people in front of  me to be routed to their ultimate destination.

That number is for *emergencies*.  You know, people being attacked,
dying, in need of medical help right now, etc?  I see nothing wrong with
arresting someone for treating it like it was a dating service.  I'm
also sure that if that policeman was the only one available and the
choice was arrest an intruder or go arrest that lady, he'd have gotten
to her after the intruder was taken care of.

Paul

As an aside, I remember hearing about someone years ago who was trying
to configure their modem in their office to dial an outside line and
then the number.  Instead of dialing 9, 1, and then the number they were
repeatedly dialing 9, 9, 1, 1, and then the number and then hanging up
when there was no connection from a modem on the other end and trying a
different configuration.  They ended up making many calls to 911 that
lasted for a few seconds each.  The police (wherever they were, I don't
remember - it might have been here) busted in like they were a SWAT
team.  I don't remember if they got arrested - I doubt it since it
wasn't intentional - but you never know.