[Vision2020] seattletimes.com: Oregon woman arrested after calling 911 to ask return of "cute" deputy

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 15 06:22:20 PDT 2006

Here is what is particularly funny about this story, Carl: If you call 911 for a non-emergency reason, they will send out a police officer to arrest you since you are "taking up valuable time from dispatchers who could be taking true emergency calls." The fact that the police officer is taking the time to arrest someone for making a phone call is apparently not "taking up valuable time" from officer, though. Wouldn't it be easier if they had just given the woman the non-emergency number?

--
Joe Campbell

---- carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com wrote:

=============
This message was sent to you by carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com,
as a service of The Seattle Times (http://www.seattletimes.com).

Comments from sender: This is just too funny not to share.

Oregon woman arrested after calling 911 to ask return of "cute" deputy
Full story: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003127178_webcutearrest14.html

The Associated Press

 ALOHA, Ore.– A woman who called 911 to ask for the return of sheriff's deputy she found attractive got something she found a lot less attractive -- a date in court for misuse of the emergency dispatch system.

 Washington County sheriff's Sgt. David Thompson told KGW Television of Portland the situation developed after a noise complaint last month by neighbors of Lorna Jeanne Dudash. Checking on the complaint, a deputy knocked on her door, then left.

 Thompson said Dudash then called 911, asking that the "cutie pie" deputy return.

 "He's the cutest cop I've seen in a long time. I just want to know his name," Dudash told the dispatcher. "Heck, it doesn't come very often a good man comes to your doorstep."

 After listening to some more, followed by a bit of silence, the dispatcher asked repeatedly why Dudash needed the deputy to return.

 "Honey, I'm just going to be honest with you, OK? I just thought he was cute. I'm 45 years old and I'd just like to meet him again, but I don't know how to go about doing that without calling 911," she said.

 "I know this is absolutely not in any way, shape or form an emergency, but if you would give the officer my phone number and ask him to come back would you mind?"

 The deputy returned, verified that there was no emergency and arrested her for misusing the 911 system, an offense punishable by a fine of up to several thousand dollars and a year in jail.

 Thompson said it was the first case he knew of in which someone called the emergency line for such a personal reason.

 "That's taking up valuable time from dispatchers who could be taking true emergency calls," he said. "Apparently she didn't know how to look up the non-emergency number."

Call (206) 464-2121 or 1-800-542-0820, or go to
https://read.nwsource.com/subscribe/times/

HOW TO ADVERTISE WITH THE SEATTLE TIMES COMPANY ONLINE
For information on advertising in this e-mail newsletter,
or other online marketing platforms with The Seattle Times Company,
call (206) 464-2361 or e-mail websales at seattletimes.com

TO ADVERTISE IN THE SEATTLE TIMES PRINT EDITION
Please go to http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/contactus/adsales
for information.

For news updates throughout the day, visit http://www.seattletimes.com

            Copyright (c) 2005 The Seattle Times Company

                        www.seattletimes.com
                       Your Life. Your Times.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com