[Vision2020] seattletimes.com: Oregon woman arrested after calling 911 to ask return of "cute" deputy

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Sat Jul 15 11:31:46 PDT 2006

On the Saturday of the 4th of July weekend, I spent a good half-hour
trying to report a broken water main. First, I called the City's
Water Department (which, of course, was closed) to get their
"emergency" phone number. Their message said to call Whitcom at a 332
number OR 911. I dialed what I thought was the 332 number and got the
Pullman hospital. So I listened to the message again and heard the
same 322 number.

That put me in a quandary. I believe 911 should only be used for a
true police or fire emergency, but I was told to use 911. So, I took
a deep breath and dialed it. In response to the "what is your
emergency" question, I said it was not a real emergency, I was trying
to reach Whitcom to report a broken water pipe. The dispatcher said
"that's us, how can I help you?" So, my call wasn't routed, the
person on the other end just changed hats.

I find that very disconcerting. I'd rather have non-emergency phone
number for situations like this.

Kit Craine