[Vision2020] The Keely Mix/Doug Wilson Debate

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 06:41:21 PDT 2006

Dick,

I'll leave Nick to capably defend his position, but I'll tell you why I
think we need to look at what WE do.

We have adopted the Geneva Conventions, and are obligated to follow them.
It is irrelevant if those we fight have done so.  We have our rules and we
should follow them.

We now claim to be in Iraq to establish democracy.  I myself think that
claim is a crock, but that too is irrelevant right now.  If we are there to
establish democracy, we do not further our stated cause by ignoring the
rules we have adopted.  It only demonstrates that our political process can
be meaningless, and that lesson is clear to those who suffer when we deviate
from our rules and laws.

If we are trying to establish a democracy, then we need to win hearts and
minds through the moral superiority of our conduct.  Do you think the
Administration's embrace of torture and running secret prisons enhances our
moral standing anywhere?

Our government is supposed to answer to us; our enemies do not, and I have
no expectation of that.  But I have the right and responsibility to expect
my government to comply with our laws.

Sunil