[Vision2020] A New Witch Hunt

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Tue Jul 4 21:17:25 PDT 2006

Thanks for posting this, Tom. Also to all of you who have taken enough interest in Wicca to do
a bit of research.

While approximately 1,900 in the military are *out of the broom
closet*, many more do not identify themselves as Wiccan simply to protect themselves.Unless
a base has a fairly large contingent of Wiccans (as did Fort Hood), it can be dangerous to let
others know  this religion is the one practiced.

Wicca does not have a Central Authority, it does not have Pastors, Preachers, or Popes.  It
doesn't seek converts, doesn't proseletize, doesn't reject other religions as nonvalid. What
it has is a belief that Diety is imminent, not transcendent, and a focus on care for the Earth
and all that inhabits Her. It has one basic tenet: And It Harm None. This means anything one
puts out into the Universe will return thrice-fold. If it is good deeds, there is a return. If, as in my
case, it is snarky e-mails to those I feel it necessary to confront, I get three equally snotty e-
mails back. I'm sometimes willing to take the *karmic hit* and just push *send*, knowing full
well Dick, Lame-o Doug, Donovan, or one of the over-aged juvenile Kirkers will attempt to insult
me or even start cyber-stalking again.

I am open about my spiritual beliefs. I am open about my political agenda. I am open about
just about everything, because when one attempts secrecy it leaves one open to blackmail.
One of the v2020 posters, in the not so distant past, attempted to *out* me (I was already out,
so BFD), attempted to *report* me to a higher authority (there isn't one, so he just annoyed
people who didn't care), and attempted to *shame* me for my out-spoken behavior (I save
feeling ashamed for when I have inadvertantly caused someone pain--I'm not ever ashamed of
calling it like I see it).

It breaks my heart when I hear that others who share my religious beliefs are disrespected in
the
way Patrick Stewart and his family have been disrespected. While I may not agree with the
religious perspectives of some others, their right to belief is never in question. Somehow,
Wicca is different than all other faiths?

 It is particularly poignant that Wiccan  beliefs are likely the most inoffensive of just about any
religion, yet, through misunderstanding and prejudice, many people still think Wicca is devil
worship or casting evil spells. These ideas don't have any application to Wicca. We don't even
believe in *the Devil*, and (remember Harm None?) just don't do imprecatory prayers or evil
spells.  We spend our time recycling, growing organic food, taking care of others, sharing what
we have with those who have less, volunteering in our community, being involved in politics,
and paying attention to the changing seasons (both real and metaphorically).

I am hopeful that the VA will get some sense, stop listening to those who act out of prejudice
rather than information, and allow Roberta Stewart to honor her husband with the symbol of his
faith. Blessed Be, Roberta.

Debi Robinson-Smith

"Never retract, never explain, never apologize, just get the job done and let them howl."
							-------Iron Jawed Angels
(Thanks to Lois Blackburn, a true Iron Jawed Angel!)