[Spam] [Vision2020] World Economics

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:20:24 PST 2006

James

Actually, the fact is that even with higher standards for environmental
protection and high wages, the productivity of American workers is so much
higher than those overseas that we can and do compete favorably.

The reason we end up with problems in the competition relates to regulatory
delay and not the regulations themselves.

I give you the example of Corning deciding to huild a SiC and SiBr plant to
make composite fiber for use in body armor and humvee armor.  Both the US
and Canada have the exact same environmental regulations and standards and
comparable pay scales and the Canadians have a higher rate of tax on
products.  So why was a plant built in Canada?  Because Corning could get
their permits to build in just 6 months and to build a plant in the US takes
a permit time line of years.

So any company who wants to meet a current demand and get to market in a
timely manner is not going to build in the USA, because you want to be
selling from a finished facility at the peak of demand and not have your
money tied up waiting to build for years.  You lose opportunity costs and
you lose time cost of money costs and those are pretty major for any
business.

Lets say that the bank charges a company 6-7% on money borrowed or reserved
for building a new plant.  If the plant costs $100,000,000, you are going to
have it cost you an extra 3 millions to build in Canada and in the USA it is
going to cost you a good three years interest or 18 millions of dollars.  On
top of that, if you get to market first you get bigger market share and peak
pricing for the materials you are seeking to compete in, which on a major
plant you have to figure on as preliminary sales of 30 milion a year and an
ability to pay off your plant in a three to four year stroke, while the
people who come in behind the market leader will take 8-10 years to pay down
plant and equipment.

Look at labor costs in a plant that size as about a third of product, so
about $10,000,000 in payroll costs.  You can ship the plant overseas and
save on that payroll, but what are you really saving?  You have a need for
fewer and more productive workers here in the US so your labor savings is
really not that much.  You might save far less than twenty percent of your
labor costs, which is only $2,000,000 a year.  Put that up against killers
for sending the job overseas like transportation costs to get the product
back here to the market and it would be no contest where you would build
products.  You end up spending serious money in containers and shipping and
in demurge and a host of other problems that are costs far greater than any
savings in labor.

If you look at the environmental costs per dollar its about ten cents on the
buck here or Canada and around 7 cents on the dollar elsewhere.  Thats not a
lot of savings for a plant when you have to ship product back here.

So why do they go elsewhere?  Because as I noted, instead of paying off 100
million in plant costs they have to pay off 118 million, they miss the
market window and end up paying on that for an extra 7 years at 6-7%
interest.

At a 7.5% interest rate the building of the Canadian plant cost 3 million in
interest for the delay and then hits market window to pay out o the 103
million for construction in three years, bringing their interest costs on
the plant to about $16,000,000.  On a three year building delay in the US,
they end up paying 118 milion and take 7 years to pay out the plant for an
interest cost on the plant $52,000,000.  In both locations the environmental
and labor costs are the same.

In the third world its even more attractive, as in, you walk in they hand
you their requirements and you go out and build it, no delays.  You hit your
market window on the nose every time and you do not need a huge staff to try
to get all the paperwork and hearings and lawyers and all the rest required
here.

Want to remain cost competative with the rest of the world?  Pre-Plan and
have it figured out where we want what so that industry has shorter delays.
Consolidate the permitting process so that the people who want to get a
plant in can go to one location and get all the permits going at the same
time.  Keep the same environmental standards, the actual requirements for
discharges and the rest, but make it less time consuming to report and
comply.

Because its the time cost of money that is killing US manufacturing, not the
wages paid to workers or the environmental costs of real standards.

Phil Nisbet