[Vision2020] One more WalMart thing . . .

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 31 08:17:52 PST 2006

Thanks for your comments, Pat.
I agree that stores need to diversify in order to stay in business. This is one reason that Hodgins is still around and still able to provide local folks with a wonderful selection of toys, ones that are not available at Wal-Mart. I won't deny that there is an important message for local business owners to learn. But can the diversity that Hodgins currently offers compete with a Super Wal-Mart, which (I suspect) will have a pharmacy and a drug store in addition to a toy store? Must Safeway diversify and sell more than mere food and household supplies to stay in business? In the case of Safeway, we loose more than a local store since they regularly stock items on their shelves which are produced by local companies, items that the Super Wal-Mart will not stock. So there is a great deal of our local economy that will change with the additon of two Super Wal-Marts.
I wonder why you think that blame in all this lies with the unions, especially given Wal-Marts union-busting stance.
One more thing. I am not a fatalist. I am not certain that "we are not going to be able to completely stop Wal-mart or other stores from following their example of business." Ultimately we need to remind people about their true values as opposed to the ones that they reflect given the current business trends of stores like Wal-Mart. I'm not suggesting that it will be easy to bring on this kind of awareness. But it is not impossible.
--
Joe Campbell

---- Pat Kraut wrote:

I have seen so many 'one item' stores close since moving to Moscow it would be hard to miss the point. A baby store that only sells baby stuff, a women's store that only sell high priced items, a 'teeny bopper' store that only has clothes that fit a 15 year old, a toy store that only sells high priced toys that and so on and so on. If a store does not sell a variety of items it won't make it in small cities. Especially if, as in the case of KB they sell only toys at a price that is twice what they are in Lewiston or Spokane. The first week I lived here the people I met were delighted that I knew how to get around in Spokane so they could go shopping up there and not stay downtown. I could get to the Northtown mall and they were thrilled and I became very popular. That was 1961 and nothing has changed except that lots of trips are made to Lewiston now and they didn't then. The best kind of stores are ones that sell lots of items at a price most people can afford and Sam Walton built a business based on that premise. He was full of new ideas and made it work for him...just like others before him who figured out how to do it for themselves and make a fortune. It is the American dream. It is what freedom means...being able to make choices at all levels. Even at the level of making obscene amounts of money. Do we need to do some checks? yes obviously, but we are not going to be able to completely stop Wal-mart or other stores from following their example of business. Unions have made it difficult to do business in the USA for sometime now and they are going to have to be reigned in also...look at autos. It is one of the problems we have and Congress is too busy looking at other things to really address the need...but it will be fixed in the marketplace just as other things have been in the past.