[Vision2020] Wal-Mart and the Pledge

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 09:26:21 PST 2006

Joe,

  What you are doing is a fallacy called a strawman. That is where you make an argument I never made and then attack it. : )

  I never stated that the working conditions in China were OK. Or that  paying people $7 an hour is OK. Or paying little for health insurance  as OK.

 My point is that if you are going to demand better  working conditions for factory workers and mandate employee paid health  insurance, and demand higher minimum wages, then the laws should be  applied uniformly.

 The financial backers of campaigns against  Wal-Mart are not mandating these rights be applied to all corporations,  just Wal-Mart, because they do not wish to improve the conditions of  workers in China or the US, just their own personal financial  situations for their corporations and organizations.

 When  the people feeding you information about Wal-Mart are making billions  of dollars by stopping Wal-Mart, do you really think that information  is honest and accurate?

 Joe, would you require one of your  students to get a 95% for an A while allowing for only a 90% for an A  for the other students? I would hope not. I hope that if you wanted to  raise the standards of your students you would raise the A to 95% for  everyone.

  _DJA

josephc at mail.wsu.edu wrote:  Donovan,

Your first response is an instance of a fallacy called 'appeal to common
practice': Everyone does (or in this case, other companies do) X, so it is
OK for me (or in this case, Wal-Mart) to do X. But just because other
companies contract manufacturers from companies that have no concept of
human rights, does not mean that it is OK for Wal-Mart to do so also.

I think it is interesting to contrast your views on this subject with your
views on the Pledge, which ends with the phrase "with liberty and justice
for all." So essentially, you think it is important of council to
regularly say words which you do not even fully believe!

Best, Joe

>       Let me correct your misinformation with facts and sources Joan:
>           1)      Concern:  Poor working conditions at Wal-Mart factories
>       Answer: Wal-Mart does not own  factories it distributes goods, it
> does not make them. They contract with manufactures;  the same
> manufactures that are used by ShopKo, Kmart, Target, Dollar General,
>  Dollar Store, Family Dollar, Sears, Dillards , TJ Maxx, Ross, etc.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com