[Vision2020] Wal-Mart and the Pledge

josephc at mail.wsu.edu josephc at mail.wsu.edu
Mon Jan 30 06:49:24 PST 2006

Donovan,

Your first response is an instance of a fallacy called 'appeal to common
practice': Everyone does (or in this case, other companies do) X, so it is
OK for me (or in this case, Wal-Mart) to do X. But just because other
companies contract manufacturers from companies that have no concept of
human rights, does not mean that it is OK for Wal-Mart to do so also.

I think it is interesting to contrast your views on this subject with your
views on the Pledge, which ends with the phrase "with liberty and justice
for all." So essentially, you think it is important of council to
regularly say words which you do not even fully believe!

Best, Joe