[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 3, January 23-27

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Jan 27 18:07:37 PST 2006

    LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER JAN 23-27/2006

   This week in the legislature was an up and down experience.  Yesterday I
got trapped in an elevator in the J.R.Williams Building and it went up and
down from the basement to the 5th floor non stop for ½ hr.   It turns out
to be the same elevator that I got trapped in last year with 10 students.

1.  Moscow Mountain Cedar Grove   --  there has been a great deal of
concern from constituents to protect the 600 year old cedar grove.  One
suggestion has been to include it in the State Park system as proposed by
the Governor. Your legislators are meeting with the Governor's staff and
working on some possible alternatives to protect this important piece of
our heritage.

2. Eminent Domain  --  Rep. Barrett has introduced a resolution that would
give Idaho voters a chance to carve into the state constitution a ban on
any government entity using its power to condemn private property for
economic development projects.  Other measures would do this statutorily
rather than constitutionally.  However, we proceed I endorse the move.
This is, of course, in reaction to the recent Supreme Court decision on
eminent domain.

3. Dog Fighting  --  Monday I introduce legislation which will call for a
felony penalty on dog fighting in Idaho.  There is ample evidence from
veterinarians and law enforcement that dog fighting is practiced in the
state.  Idaho is only one of 2 states that does not have the felony penalty
in place.  Family dogs are often kidnapped and thrown in pits with fighting
dogs to train on.  Next year I plan to return with a bill that will call
for a felony penalty on cockfighting.

4.  U.S. students get a bad rap in international competition  --  much
criticism is placed on U.S. public school students who consistently score
lower in math and science tests than other countries.   We should note that
many countries including Asia and Europe have more than 220 days of school
in a year compared to 180 for U.S. schools.  Is this a level playing field?
 It is interesting to note that last year the U.S. took first place in math
and science with students who scored a 5 in their advanced placement tests.

     A recent interview with the Minister of Education in Singapore
revealed that Singapore students consistently score in first place in math
and science in international competition.  However, the Minister of
Education noted that if you followed these top students 10-20 years after
they took first place in the competition they were just "run of the mill"
professionals while their U.S competition where outstanding professionals
in their fields as evidenced by inventions, scientific awards, etc.  The
Minister of Education noted that the Singapore educational system does an
outstanding job of teaching students to do well in the test, but does not
teach students such skills as teamwork, problem solving, and using your
imagination--skills which he attributed to the U.S. educational system.
It does make one reflect a bit!

4.  Property Tax Bills -- There are at least 30 property tax bills that
will be be heard in the Rev and Tax Committee next week.

 5.  High School Redesign  --  the proposed addition of two math courses
and one science course to the high school curriculum is now on hold.   The
Senate voted 5-4 to reject the SBOE's rule, and the House Ed Committee
voted 9-9.   If no action is taken then the rule will be accepted.
However, it is evident that if the House Education Committee voted next
week the rule would be rejected.  Most committee members were in favor of
strengthening the curriculum; however, many questions were left unanswered.
  A mother of a developmentally disabled child asked, "How does the new
rule impact my child."  The Board after making a number of changes after
making their first proposal simply did not communicate all of the changes
effectively to citizens of the state.

      Leadership quickly sensed a growing lack of consensus and support
from House Ed Committee members.    Evidently leadership has given the
Board about a month to make it's case again and gain support at the local
district level, and then a final vote will be held.

 6.   Pay for Teachers  --  One of the distressing aspects has been the
lack of any activity on part of the Legislature or JFAC to address the
issue of salary increases for teachers.  We appreciate the Governor's
proposed raise of $30,000 for beginning teachers; however, teachers have
not received significant raises for over four years.  It is ironic that
state employees were granted a quick 3% raise to take effect February 1st
and a CEC Committee is looking at a proposal that would raise state worker
salaries further come July 1st by another 2%.   We need to reward our hard
working teachers, and I will be working with other legislators toward this end.

 7.    Kindergarten  --  Sen. Schroeder is proposing to make kindergarten
mandatory in our 114 districts.   This will put Idaho more line with the
rest of the country.  Idaho is the only one of nine states that doesn't put
money into kindergarten.

 8.    I'm working on a number of education bills  --  a short summary

        a) Resolution to call for a Civics Summit  --  the resolution would
urge the legislature to call for a statewide meeting for all stakeholders
to look at improving civic educations programs in the public schools.

        b) ABCTE Legislation  --  Teachers who pass computer knowledge
based tests and an interactive video test to examine their teaching
proficiency would be required to participate one semester of practice
teaching under the supervision of a member of Idaho College of Education
faculty.

        c) Anti-Bullying Legislation  --  I working on both a resolution
and legislation with the statewide Bully Police Organization to craft
legislation that would help reduce bullying in the Idaho school system.
Bullying is a leading contributor to teenage suicides.   Idaho ranks 12th
in the country.

         d)  Needs Based College Scholarships.  --  I'm crafting
legislation that would target $20 million from the surplus.   Ten million
would be directed toward needs based scholarship--half of which would be
for students who would commit to majoring in math, science or nursing and
return to teach in Idaho public schools.    Ten million would help set up a
loan program for students majoring in math and science who would come back
to teach in Idaho schools.   Twenty percent of the loan would be paid off
for every year taught in an Idaho school.

You can contact me at ttrail at house.idaho.gov  I'd appreciate your comments
and recommendations.

Representative. Tom Trail