[Vision2020] Response to Abortion Post

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 20:23:28 PST 2006

On 1/26/06, g. crabtree <jampot at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Actually, I have read it several times. Every time I do it seems to say
> Chasuk is a pragmatist. Chasuk believes all things are relative. Chasuk
> don't eat people unless he's very hungry and a child is a chicken dinner.
> Chasuk draws the line at people shoes however. Gotta draw that line
> somewhere, don't ya know.

> Is that the gist of it?

I am a pragmatist.  However, I am not a relativist.  I wish I were a
relativist; answers would be easier if I were.  But I'm not wired that
way, or the world doesn't seem to make sense that way, or both.  I
wouldn't eat people joyfully, but then I'm not a tribesperson from
Papua, New Guinea.  I can't conceive of any instance in which I would
wear "people shoes."

Those are red herrings.  Granted, I provided them, so I don't blame
you for using them.

The gist:  I consider human fetuses and embryos to be "lesser" human
animals.  I mean "lesser" in the sense that I believe that the mother
requires no moral justification if she elects termination.  Of course,
there are numerous provisos and overlapping issues, many of which are
ambiguous, but those are separate topics requiring their own
discussions.

I don't kill spiders.  I believe in the ethical treatment of animals
(I was a vegetarian for two years, but it wasn't compatible with my
family's lifestyle, and I wasn't zealous enough, so I quit).  I don't
believe in the death penalty.  Is that enough contradictions for you?