[Vision2020] Response to Abortion Post

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 21:21:53 PST 2006

Chas,

You write,
"I can't conceive of any instance in which I would
wear "'people shoes.'"

I use to feel the same way, but horse shoes are just not
as comfortable.

"I wouldn't eat people joyfully"

How about to hide the evidence? Or if they took all
the antidote in an unjust process?

"I don't kill spiders.  I believe in the ethical treatment
of animals"

Now what about the animals in your intestines and blood,
or that cause viruses harmful to people and their property?
Mildew in your shower or in the sink?
Is your respect for creatures based on size, complexity,
similarity to the humans, function, or other criteria?

If the development of a fetus is LESS than other humans
because of development, does that mean that a baby is less
than a toddler, a toddler less than a full grown human?

What exactly makes an eight month not worth protecting in a womb
as opposed to that of a nine month old outside a womb? I
understand the legal implications, but how are they different
ethically and morally?

Thanks,

_DJA

I am a pragmatist.  However, I am not a relativist.  I wish I were a
relativist; answers would be easier if I were.  But I'm not wired that
way, or the world doesn't seem to make sense that way, or both.  I
wouldn't eat people joyfully, but then I'm not a tribesperson from
Papua, New Guinea.  I can't conceive of any instance in which I would
wear "people shoes."

Those are red herrings.  Granted, I provided them, so I don't blame
you for using them.

The gist:  I consider human fetuses and embryos to be "lesser" human
animals.  I mean "lesser" in the sense that I believe that the mother
requires no moral justification if she elects termination.  Of course,
there are numerous provisos and overlapping issues, many of which are
ambiguous, but those are separate topics requiring their own
discussions.

I don't kill spiders.  I believe in the ethical treatment of animals
(I was a vegetarian for two years, but it wasn't compatible with my
family's lifestyle, and I wasn't zealous enough, so I quit).  I don't
believe in the death penalty.  Is that enough contradictions for you?

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:  On 1/26/06, g. crabtree  wrote:

> Actually, I have read it several times. Every time I do it seems to say
> Chasuk is a pragmatist. Chasuk believes all things are relative. Chasuk
> don't eat people unless he's very hungry and a child is a chicken dinner.
> Chasuk draws the line at people shoes however. Gotta draw that line
> somewhere, don't ya know.

> Is that the gist of it?

I am a pragmatist.  However, I am not a relativist.  I wish I were a
relativist; answers would be easier if I were.  But I'm not wired that
way, or the world doesn't seem to make sense that way, or both.  I
wouldn't eat people joyfully, but then I'm not a tribesperson from
Papua, New Guinea.  I can't conceive of any instance in which I would
wear "people shoes."

Those are red herrings.  Granted, I provided them, so I don't blame
you for using them.

The gist:  I consider human fetuses and embryos to be "lesser" human
animals.  I mean "lesser" in the sense that I believe that the mother
requires no moral justification if she elects termination.  Of course,
there are numerous provisos and overlapping issues, many of which are
ambiguous, but those are separate topics requiring their own
discussions.

I don't kill spiders.  I believe in the ethical treatment of animals
(I was a vegetarian for two years, but it wasn't compatible with my
family's lifestyle, and I wasn't zealous enough, so I quit).  I don't
believe in the death penalty.  Is that enough contradictions for you?

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com