[Vision2020] pledge

aaron ament citizenament at moscow.com
Thu Jan 26 15:13:53 PST 2006

.

        I have been personally asked to enter into the conversation regarding the Pledge of Allegiance and respond to those questioning the patriotism of some of their fellow citizens.
	While I do not fear external enemies, I do fear unnecessary divisiveness within our nation.  One focus of the campaign I ran for city council was the inclusion of all that wished to participate in the governance of Moscow.  I do not want to see any who wish to participate excluded because of any litmus test.  We are a great nation that relies on each of us to express our love of country in a way that is meaningful to us as individuals.   I made my dedication to country, state and city when on January 3, 2006; I swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, The Constitution of the State of Idaho and the Code of the City of Moscow.  Nothing has changed my dedication to that oath.  During the past four years our Mayor asked that the Pledge be said to open meetings of the city council.  During the four years prior to that, the same Mayor saw no need to do so and as far as I know that was the case prior to him taking office.
	We have a new Mayor.  She has decided that the Pledge of Allegiance not be wholly discontinued, but be saved for special occasions, occasions that honor the history of our nation and the sacrifice of the many that has insured our freedom.  I support my country, my state, my city and I support my Mayor in this decision.

Aaron Ament