[Vision2020] it's silly season, the legislature is in town

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Thu Jan 26 13:49:51 PST 2006

this from Betsy Russell's blog, eye on boise
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/boise/
********
It's those funny college ideas

University of Idaho President Tim White was
addressing the House Education Committee today
when Rep. Pete Nielsen, R-Mountain Home, asked
him why colleges and their "funny ideas" have
been undermining the U.S. economy and society.
"When we approached the late '60s, '70s and '80s,
a certain thing started to happen at the colleges
that has proven to me to be detrimental to some
extent, that we got from the colleges funny ideas
about the environment, funny ideas about animals,
and etcetera, etcetera," Nielsen told White. He
cited "the white owl and the sucker fish in the
Klamath Falls area," and noted that "some of
these scenarios Š came from higher ed to begin
with Š or from Berkeley in particular."

White responded, "The role of the universities is
not to make public policy - that is your role,
that is the federal role. The role of the
university is to inform that policy" through
science and research.