[Vision2020] vets and PTSD

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:45:29 PST 2006

James

I am sorry, but this is really way out to lunch.  The bulk of those
undergoing infantry training do not turn into mindless killing drones and
value human life as much as any person living on this planet.  The bulk of
front line troops do not become victims to PTSD and are not homeless street
people.  The majority of combat vets are upstanding members of the
community, work hard, raise their families and look like every other person
on your block.

Combat effectiveness is not benefited by having any troop convinced that he
is worthless or that his life is forfeit to the whims of the system.  Any
command that had such a philosophy would be loaded with troops unable to
fulfill its mission.  Soldiers do not sacrifice their lives or their well
being for some higher cause, they do so for their buddies and their unit and
they have to know that they are valued in order to have the esprit to win.

Roughly one in eight persons who engage in combat will suffer from some form
of PTSD.  Of those who do, only half will require extensive medical
services.  Since 4% of the general population of the USA also has similar
conditions, the rate in combat vets is about three times as high as the
general population, but nearly 90% of combat Vets, those on the receiving
end of hostile fire, display no such symptoms.

Yes, there will be about 6,000 troops who serve in Iraq who will require
special care and we need to make provisions for them.  They will have as
tough if not a tougher time adapting to their mental wounds as those who
have been wounded physically.  Some of those young folks will indeed be
crippled for a lifetime and all of us as Americans need to be willing to see
them cared for for as long as they need.

But the biggest handicap they and every Vet face is the notion that somehow
we are all just a flashback away from taking out every person in the local
Jack in the Box.  The bulk of Veterans do not suffer from PTSD and those
that do are not dangerous crazies.  In medical studies the Prognosis for
PTSD shows that after 6 months 70% of those who suffer from the disease will
be cured and 30% will suffer from some chronic form.  The numbers are the
same for troops who fought in all of our wars and are similar to those found
in survivors of other extreme stress actions like the lose of ones family in
an auto accident or a mass shooting event.  The tens of thousands of PTSD
victims who have this ailment from events not related to combat are not
stigmatized as potential bums and gun welding madmen and the same should be
true for Vets with PTSD.

Phil Nisbet