[Vision2020] vets and PTSD

James Reynolds chapandmaize at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 08:01:57 PST 2006

The article Mr. Hansen posted this morning concerning Post Traumatic Stress
Disorder should open our eyes to the full impact of what military actions
entail. A front line soldier coming back to try and fit into society gets
the headlines but he is only a small part of the entire tragedy. There are
no clear cut fixes for PTSD because there has been a fundamental shift in
how that soldier fits into society. He has undergone training and situations
that have reduced the fundamental sacred nature of life to its biological
simplicity and the soldier's own life as worthless.

If a child goes through infantry training it is taught that it is no better
than a bug and that its life is forfeit to the country. Our own boys and
girls become expendable objects for our Commander-in-Chief to do with as he
pleases. This training and the final mindset is mandatory for a good army.

If we add the fact that the current war (as Vietnam) has no clear
justification, no clear enemy, and no clear victories what we end up
bringing home are many, many, many messed up young people.

We have to put ourselves in the boots of our young soldiers. We need to
think about ourselves being trained to understand our lives are nothing; put
ourselves into a foreign land surrounded by our potential killer every
minute. We have to make the greatest effort to give these young people their
humanity back.

A non-justified war means nothing more than a sentence of death or the loss
of humanity to our children without any benefit to the Nation. How can
anyone support such a war? What is our nation becoming? We allow our
children to be sent to death or destruction on the words of liars and by the
deceptions of war profiteers and then allow these same maggots to take our
money from the treasury to line their pockets while declining to allow the
best care for our young soldiers when they come back to us.

As was said...The drum beat goes on...

James Reynolds