[Vision2020] vets and PTSD

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 13:04:32 PST 2006

Mr. Reynolds:

As a vet, a Vietnam Vet, I was never trained to drop or sacrifice my love or
respect of life and exchange it for a view that a life, any life, in front
of me not of my unit was expendable.  Despite what you or others believe, we
were never taught to go in and kill, kill, kill.  Rather, we were told to
shoot ONLY when necessary and ONLY at those posing a threat to the unit or
ourselves.

I am not sure where you have picked up your opinions about the training that
the military does, but I can tell you from personal experience, it is
NOTHING what you present it to be.  Nothing!

PTSD is not a military-only disorder - many, many rape victims, child abuse
victims, spousal-abuse victims, and people who have lost someone close
(family member or friend) also suffer from this disorder.  There is a
greater number of incidents of those type of situations producing
gun-weilding reactionaries than the personnel coming back from in-country
action.

Do I support the action in Iraq - no.  But, I have, do and will always
support our troops, some of which are members of my immediate family and
circle of friends.  And I certainly will not look at them as potential "News
at 11" stories of violent reaction to the war when they return.

One other note:  This country does NOT train "children" - we train young
adults.

J  :]