[Vision2020] Adventures of Senator Rednose

Tim Lohrmann timlohr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 10:41:45 PST 2006

>From the Boston Herald---what a hypocritical jerk!
  But I sort of think getting bombed and leaving a woman to drown in a car is just a teensy bit worse.
  TL

  Ted K. to quit club that bans women
By Jules Crittenden
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - Updated: 11:41 AM EST

           E-mail article     View text version     View most popular

  U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy — who ripped Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito for ties to a group that discriminates against women — says he’s going to quit a club notorious for discriminating against women “as fast as I can.”

      Kennedy was outed by conservatives late last week as a current member of The Owl Club, a social club for Harvard alumni that bans women from membership.

      In an interview with WHDH Channel 7’s Andy Hiller that aired last night, Kennedy said, “I joined when I . . . 52 years ago, I was a member of the Owl Club, which was basically a fraternal organization.”

      Asked by Hiller whether he is still a member, Kennedy said, “I’m not a member; I continue to pay about $100.”

      He then said of being a member in a club that discriminates against women, “I shouldn’t be and I’m going to get out of it as fast as I can.”

      The Harvard Crimson reports that, in 1984, the university severed ties with clubs like the Owl, citing a federal law championed by Kennedy.

      Meanwhile, Kennedy admitted to Hiller that he himself probably couldn’t pass Judiciary Committee muster.

      “Probably not . . . probably not,” Kennedy said.

      The committee will vote on Alito’s nomination on Jan. 24, and the full Senate will begin debate the next day. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said he looks forward to a “fair up-or-down vote.”