[Vision2020] Clarifications:Al Zawahiri Attack in Pakistan

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 20:42:30 PST 2006

All:

I am over my polite limit on posts today, but due to a thoughtless and
insulting ad hominem attack I received privately in regards to my post
referencing the book "Imperial Hubris," written by a CIA analyst, who worked
as head of the Bin Laden unit at the Central Intelligence Agency's counter
terrorist center from 1996 to 1999, and the comments by Bill Maher on Larry
King Live, regarding the potential impact on Al Queda of killing Al
Zawahiri, I think an immediate response is necessary to clarify my thinking
on these issues.

I am in no way excusing Al Zawahiri's connections to 9/11 or terrorism
anywhere, nor am I saying the USA should not be pursuing terrorists,
including Al Zawahiri, who commit terrorist acts.  I do have problems with
the USA killing innocent civilians, however, when pursuing the war on
terror.

My point, put simply, was that it is doubtful that killing Al Zawahiri will
have a significant impact on Al Queda.

The book "Imperial Hubris" is not a joke or a fraud.  The author presents a
serious analysis of major problems with the US approach to the war on
terror, the war in Iraq among them. But he is not against US military action
to prosecute the war on terror.  In fact, the author advocates a
"relentless, brutal, and... blood soaked offensive..."  What else would you
expect from a CIA veteran?  Peace, love and flowers as a solution?  The
author states in the news report that I provided earlier today via a web
link, and provided again at the bottom here, that, to paraphrase, many at
his former work place (CIA) agree with many of his conclusions.

It appeared the person who privately sent me the thoughtless, insulting and
ad hominem attack regarding these issues had not read the content at the web
links I provided with my earlier post today on "Imperial Hubris."  They
might consider reading this book first before dismissing it so quickly.
Here is a web link to an Amazon report on this book, along with one of the
web links I earlier provided today on this same author and book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1574888498/103-8676584-3434231?v=glance&n=283155

http://au.news.yahoo.com/040808/2/q8lp.html

Ted Moffett