[Vision2020] Chicken or the Egg, Which Came First, Wal-Mart or Food Stamps?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 11:38:04 PST 2006

"Certainly  the facts about how many current Walmart employees in Moscow use the  county indigent health care system and how many qualify for food stamps  are relevant information because we all pay for those services." Don  Huskey

  Good point. However, how  many Wal-Mart employees were already on Food Stamps, Social Security,  Disability, or a government assisted program BEFORE being hired by  Wal-Mart? That is the question that should be asked.

  It  would strike me as odd that someone with skills, experience, an  education and/or the ability to get hired elsewhere would stay at a job  that pays so little they stay on food stamps.

 Wal-Mart also  gets dinged because most companies will not hire senior citizens and  the disabled because of medical costs. These people probably are being  underpaid, but cannot get hired elsewhere. It is easy to offer medical  benefits when you weed those people out of your workforce like so many  companies do.

 Which came first for the Wal-mart employee,  the Food Stamps or the job at Wal-Mart? This is fundamental before  accusations are made!

  -DJA

DonaldH675 at aol.com wrote:          I  just saw on the news (and I missed most of the details because I was  doing other things at the same time) that a state has passed  legislation requiring Walmart to carry health insurance for it's  workers in that state. Maybe we need to lobby the state to do something  similar. Certainly the facts about how many current Walmart employees  in Moscow use the county indigent health care system and how many  qualify for food stamps are relevant information because we all pay for  those services. I suspect when all is said and done we'll find that  Walmart's low prices are a sham and that the additional cost of to the  public of supporting the store exceeds the benefits of the low prices.  Since I have not seen any actual analyses I could be wrong.

  Don   Huskey

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight   you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com