[Vision2020] fleecing of Moscow???

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:41:10 PST 2006

Jennifer

Though I concur on much of your analysis here, I must note that the 1934
Telephone Communications Act which the legislation amends is not
specifically tied to sexual situations or male female violence.  The act has
in fact been used previously in civil rights cases where hate groups are
involved and also in political harassment cases.

It would also be incorrect to state that if the person harassed responds to
the harasser that a dialogue has been initiated and that the law has no
effect.  It would be a heck of a note if a woman told a deviant calling her
on the phone that they were a sick SOB and that that allowed them to get
off.

The addition to the 1934 act has broad implications in places like message
boards where it is very common currently for persons unknown to launch
tirades of falsehoods against people and companies that are indeed meant to
cause harm to those persons.  Absent the inclusion of the internet in the
language of the act, several states have assumed that they should protect
internet posters to a higher degree than they do people who use other forms
of communication to issue threats and slanders.

As an example, on Yahoo cyberstalking on various stockboards has seen
anonymous posters issue threats to people and to their families.  If the
same threats were issued by phone or by mail, the persons who issued them
would be identified by law and the persons threatened could receive
injunctive relief.  Yahoo, however, refuses requests even from law
enforcement to identify cyberstalkers and offers only to block a particular
ID on yahoo from contacting the person.  Typically when this happens, the
stalker simply changes IDs and continues the harassment.

Yahoo lobbied California to assist it in keeping their clients IDs private
even when they cyber stalk and as a consequence California has what is
called an anti-slap law in place.  Under that CA statute, the cyberstalker
remains protected with regards to ID and anonymous until they have been
proven guilty of a crime.

What that has allowed is a group of stock players to illegally use the
internet stockboards in a scheme called stock bashing.  What they do is
gather a group of a few people and create numerous IDs so as to appear to be
a crowd.  They then descend on a stock board discussing a company and post a
huge volume of false and negative information.  This will often cause the
stock to sink in price.  The criminals in this case short sell the stock
just before they launch their cyber stalk, push the stock price down, cover
their bets and buy some of the shares long as they stop posting nasty things
to the stock board.  The stock then recovers and they sell the long position
having made money on the manipulation on both sides of the run down and the
return.

Cyber bashing stock is an illegal stock manipulation that is punishable by
SEC regulations.  The trouble is, companies and legitimate shareholders can
not get the actual names of the manipulators to force the pressing of
charges.  Some of the bashing operations employ rooms of people just like
the old boiler rooms and pay their staff on the basis of hits and points
lost.  There are estimates that billions of dollars are lost by legitimate
shareholders, small share owners at that, to these criminals.

Frankly, a lot of bashers pulled off the stock boards when news of the
legislation first came in.  Some of them are putting a toe in the water
again, banking on people figuring that it only covers harassment and
violence against woman.  I think that they will find that it covers much
more.

The same goes for the anonymous hate crime stalkers for that matter.
Neo-Nazi and KKK type groups have long used the internet to send and post
hate related postings to harass people and generally intimidate their
opponents.  Just because the current addition is found under the violence
against woman portions of a DOJ Appropriations Bill does not make these
cyberstalkers safe.

Phil Nisbet