[Vision2020] Zoning Law & Freewheeling Capitalism: Adamson Challenges Otter

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 19:59:33 PST 2006

Tom et. al.

These proposed "tax exempt free enterprise zones" reminds me that I
discovered that Houston, Texas has no zoning laws, unless there has been a
change recently.  A different subject, I know, but related to the principle
of promoting less government regulation of business.  Here are two web links
to info on Houston that mention the absence of zoning laws:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1568/is_n9_v25/ai_15143280

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761553195/Houston.html

With my cynical absurdist realist (what is this?) mindset in gear, consider
the following suggestions:

With the apparent lack of enforcement of Moscow's zoning codes, why not
abandon them?  So what if downtown turns into a Trinitarian Village
dominated by NSA?  We could look at it like some big cities look at
"Chinatown," a place for tourists to gawk and shop surrounded by the
different life of another culture.  We could advertise this as a draw for
the tourist industry.  Moscow needs some sort of new economic model, don't
you think?  The sprawl malls spreading on the outskirts far away
from Moscow's city center will soon dominate economic activity anyway,
unless big money/big corporate power can be fought.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a proponent of fundamentalist religion, in case
you haven't noticed, and I'm on the fringe of opinion on growth, insofar as
I am tend to favor zero growth, or very slow environmentally (i. e. not
dependent on increasing fossil fuel consumption) friendly highly managed
growth, but the writing is on the wall.

Big corporate power can push little Moscow, Idaho around with ease.  And
though Moscow has a core of progressive environmentally minded people who
wish to see capitalism and growth regulated to protect the quality and
values of small town life, this group faces serious local opposition.

The growth in population will fuel an increasing mentality that does not
even know about or care about what is being lost, when people with money
move to the Palouse from much much bigger uglier cities, who will think that
the older locals who complain about too much unmanaged or ugly development
compromising the quality of life, are so quaint.

Money talks and bullshit walks!

I trust this little somewhat tongue in cheek spiel is understood not as
advocacy of these possibilities, but rather as a hard cold look at the
reality of the powers that be in the world we live in, and how they might
overwhelm our area.

Now, I'm retreating to my flame proof bomb shelter...

I don't think what I just wrote will be the most popular post of the week.

Ted Moffett