[Vision2020] homeschooling

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Sun Jan 8 19:20:53 PST 2006

Ted Wrote, "I agree that some sort of monitoring of home schooled children's
academic development is important."

Everyone seems to agree that most home schooling situations are just fine
(many superior to government schools).  I can understand government
intervention regarding 'abuse,' but I can't understand the desire to have
the government actively monitoring all home schoolers (I'm assuming this is
what Ted intends, but I'm not sure).  There are other forms of abuse that
are important too (such as sexual or physical); when there are signs of
abuse in this situation, the authorities are notified and there might be
some sort of investigation with proper warrant.  I'd prefer not to have the
government coming into my home and testing my children for sexual or
physical abuse every two years.  All the more I'd prefer to have the freedom
to educate my children, or delegate such education to others I deem fit,
without the government snooping around the privacy of my home making sure
I'm not doing anything illegal.  State = Force/Coercion; like chlorine in
the pool, you only put in as much as is absolutely necessary to keep the
water safe to swim in. I've known fine home schooling families who have
considered moving to Idaho because they would have the freedom to school
without government intervention.

Michael Metzler