[Vision2020] RE: Zoning Law & Freewheeling Capitalism: Adamson Challenges Otter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jan 9 07:03:35 PST 2006

Mr. Moffett stated:

"With the apparent lack of enforcement of Moscow's zoning codes, why not
abandon them?  So what if downtown turns into a Trinitarian Village
dominated by NSA?  We could look at it like some big cities look at
"Chinatown," a place for tourists to gawk and shop surrounded by the
different life of another culture. "

If Moscow were a big city (assuming you mean San Francisco [population
800,000] or Los Angeles [population over 6 million]), permitting six blocks
of downtown to "evolve" into a virtual "Chinatown" would not be so
burdensome.  With a limited central business district, it is imperative that
businesses within that district contribute their share back to the community
either in the form of retail sales or property tax or both.

Mr. Moffett further stated:

"The growth in population will fuel an increasing mentality that does not
even know about or care about what is being lost, when people with money
move to the Palouse from much bigger uglier cities, who will think that the
older locals who complain about too much unmanaged or ugly development
compromising the quality of life, are so quaint."

I seriously do not foresee "people with money" moving to Moscow unless
Moscow provides opportunities for careers and futures.  Once these
minimum-wage sumps (like Wal-mart) blanket our environment with their
outlets from Troy to Pullman, career opportunities in the area are vastly
diminished.  As I stated earlier, I do not believe that people care to begin
and end a 20-year career at $7.50 an hour.

Take care, Moscow.

sideways, chocolate in one hand, a drink in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. What a ride!'"

  _____