[Vision2020] HR 3855

Reynolds, James jreynold at vetmed.wsu.edu
Sat Jan 7 23:31:56 PST 2006

Thank you Mark, for bringing the Floodwoods to Phil's attention. I have logged State, Federal and private grounds throughout Northern and Central Idaho. With a few acceptions from licquidating private owners, the State Forest ground was always the worst managed. The Floodwood area from Clarkia back to the resevoir is a sad one indeed from the perspective of multiple use management and the State led the charge in the destruction. The USFS at least gives lip service to other uses. In 1990 I worked on one of the last of the big cedar cites back there. Fourteen foot diameter Cedars and five foot through White pines 250 feet tall were the norm on that state sale; one of the last of the big-tree sales from there. Some of the older loggers told a story of a dark primeval forest that canopied the roads all the way through from Clarkia to the river. Gone now isn't it.

Jim Reynolds
Moscow