[Spam] Re: [Vision2020] e-mail as public record (was lurking)

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Wed Jan 4 17:51:34 PST 2006

Tom,
I believe that the address to which a communication is sent is
irrelevant.  If I send a council member an email related to a council
matter, it is a public record whether I send it to a "private"
address or the "public" address.  It would usually be the content
that determines the nature of the document.  Similarly, if I mail to
a personal address or PO Box or if I hand a communication to a
council member.  Of course, it would be up to the individual council
member to be sure such communications become part of the "public
record."

You can find the provisions for public records at Idaho Code 9-337 et
seq. and might also be interested in 67-2340 et seq.

But, in brief, a "public record" is "any writing containing
information relating to the conduct or administration of the public's
business prepared, owned, used or retained by any state agency,
independent public body...or local agency regardless of physical form
or characteristics."

I would be relatively certain that the city attorney will advise (or
the council will request information regarding) what documents,
communications, etc. need to be submitted as a public record and what
remains private.  Any communication received by a council member
(even orally) about a "quasi-judicial" matter should be submitted for
consideration by the entire council and made part of the record at
the public hearing.  thus, we should not be able to contact our
council members "privately" to persuade them in their deliberation of
a matter.

Regards,
Mike Curley