[Vision2020] Logos School's Policy of Entrance Discrimination

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 08:09:33 PST 2006

    Rose and others,

  As someone that is in the Graduate Program at UI for Special Education, and the  grandson of the couple that started the first school in Moscow for students  with disabilities because the state  did not educate them, it is important  to  me that children not be discriminated against and be given  an  opportunity for a decent education.

  However, what you are writing is just crap, pure bullshit. Logos and St. Mary's  both have the same policy regarding special education; If they can afford to  take a child they will. However, if they cannot responsibly give that a child a  better education than the public schools which have more resources, then they  do what is best for the child. If the MSD can barely afford the expense of a  providing for a child with a disability when it gets 51 cents of every local  tax dollar, how do you expect a small private school whose student's parents  can barely make tuition to afford it?

  Logos, St. Mary's, St. Rose's, and Moscow   Day School, and most  private schools have the same policy which you stated but still accept students  with special needs. It is not discrimination according to the law, because they  are not publicly funded. It would be like saying that Rose Huskey is  discriminating because her private home is not ADA compliant. She does not want people in  wheelchairs or using walking coming to her home.

  I also strongly suggest Rose, that you never make the claim again that because  a student has a disability they bring down test scores. Such statements are  false and discriminatory. Student with disabilities are given accommodations  for their disability when taking state and federal tests, it is the law. In  addition, 5% of students, the ones with most sever learning disabilities, are  excused from having to take state and federal achievement tests.

  The reason that most students test poorly and/or do poorly in school is more due  to social problems outside the classroom. Students that are in private schools  USUALLY have more stable lives outside school, which is generally why they test  higher. Catholic Schools rate higher, even though they are given alcohol at  the church, because of community involvement with the children, strong discipline,  and spirituality. This is lacking in public schools.

  Please do not every again make the claim that Logos tests higher because  students in wheelchairs, with hearing aids, or are ADD drag the scores down.  Such statements are wrong and offensive.

  Take Care,

  Donovan J Arnold

DonaldH675 at aol.com wrote:          Visionaries:

  Dale Courtney has brashly decided that he can "debunk the myth" that   Logos School discriminates against academically/physically challenged students   in its admission policy.  http://right-mind.us/blogs/moscoweducation/archive/2006/01/02/40100.aspx

  He selectively quoted from my presentation to the Latah County Board of   Equalization in July 2005.  It is my hope that he will open the discussion   and include the rest of the relevant remarks.  But, of course, I am not   holding my breath.  They presented Logos administrators and school   board members as the insufferably bigoted, ill-trained and under-educated, prats   that they are. I entered the following letter from the Logos School Elementary   School Handbook as part of the record of the BOE hearing.  None of these   policies have, to my knowledge, been changed, nor have any of them been   refuted.

“Dates:  January   18, 1994
Objective: To clarify goals of Logos   School
Scope:  This policy   applies to all students and teachers in all the classrooms of  Logos   School.

  Definitions:

  Severe Learning   Disability:  Any condition in a   potential student which would require a separate classroom, program, and staff   in order to provide the educational services desired by the parents. E.g. Down’s   syndrome, deaf/mute, blind, etc.

  Learning   Disability:  Any condition in a potential student or   student which does not require a separate classroom, program, and staff in order   to provide the education services desired by the parents.  E.g. Hyperactivity, Attention Deficit   Syndrome, dyslexia, etc.  For the   purposes of this policy, it is not important whether or not the condition was   accurately diagnosed and is a genuine learning   disability.
  Guidelines:
  1.           Children with a severe learning disability will not be admitted to Logos   due to the lack of adequate staff, funding, and   facilities.
  2.           Children who have been diagnosed as having a learning disability will be   required to meet the same academic standards as all the other children in their   grade level.
  3.           Children who have been diagnosed as having a learning disability well be   given as much individual instruction and encouragement as their   classmates.”    The   Logos   Elementary   School   Student/ Parent Handbook, pg.27, 2002-2003
  The erroneous description of Down’s Syndrome, “deaf/mute,” and   “blind” as “learning disabilities” demonstrates a profound ignorance and   inherent academic bias toward physically disabled, developmentally delayed, or   learning disabled students.  This   policy of student selection based on physical and intellectual potential or   performance is particularly odious in a school purporting to be   Christian.
  It nauseates me that our tax dollars are supporting this   disgraceful policy.  I personally don't give a tinker's damn how Doug and   his henchmen run their schools. It is a source of amazement to me that parents   are deluded or bedazzled enough to fork out the money for what Doug is offering   - that's not my call.  But for heaven's sake (and I   mean that literally) I wish they weren't doing it on my dime.
   Rose Huskey

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then   they fight you, then you win." Mahatma   Gandhi

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com