[Vision2020] Logos School's Policy of Entrance Discrimination

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:56:09 PST 2006

I don't like playing Devil's Advocate, and I am never deliberately
contrary.  However, I disagree that Logos School discriminates against
academically/physically challenged students in the way that has been
alleged.

Take this excerpt from their 1994 admissions policy:

"Severe Learning Disability:  Any condition in a potential student
which would require a separate classroom, program, and staff in order
to provide the educational services desired by the parents. E.g.
Down's syndrome, deaf/mute, blind, etc."

Juxtapose the above with this:

"1. Children with a severe learning disability will not be admitted to
Logos due to the lack of adequate staff, funding, and facilities."

Both statements are, perhaps, thoughtlessly phrased.  Still, I can
charitably divine the following meaning:

"Logos School strongly believes that all students deserve not only
God's grace, but equal educational opportunity.  Therefore, It is with
deep regret that we acknowledge our own unfortunate shortcomings;
namely, that our resources are currently insufficient to meet the
special needs of students who are severely handicapped, either
physically, mentally, or both. This category includes the blind, the
deaf, the mute, and those suffering from Down's syndrome. For this
reason, Logos School regretfully declines admission for students in
this category."

Re-considered in this light, the decision of Logos School seems not so
much discrimination (in the prejudicial sense), as discernment (in the
cautiously reasoned sense).  Down's syndrome is a condition which
causes learning difficulties as well as physical disabilities.  The
blind, the deaf, and the mute also have unique learning challenges.
Would it be better for Logos School to accept children who they
believed, rightly or wrongly, they would fail?