[Vision2020] Bad Science

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 1 18:32:24 PST 2006

Ted

I agree that I failed to completely clarify which was the source of the bad
science in my first response on the subject, but I did correct that in my
second one replying to John D.

You mention that Science is a well written and edited Journal of Science and
for the most part you are correct.  But look at where the New York Times
writer went wrong and you can see that the Science article was indeed
wanting.

"Today's level of 380 parts per million of carbon dioxide is 27% above its
previous peaks of about 300 ppm, according to the team led by Thomas Stocker
of the University of Bern in Switzerland."

This does not make clear that the 300 ppm level is confined to data
developed from the ice cores and only goes for the 650,000 years involved in
that data set.  The writer of the Science piece would rightly assume that
fellow scientist would know that that was the case, but should have thought
that more than just scientists read Science in this day and age.  Adding in
the core after about 300 ppm would have made the sentence clearer and
probably made sure that the NYT reporter got it right.

How many of those in science ever take a tech writing class, let alone
creative writing classes?  Those are skills we do need to communicate
outside our fields, but they are really not required of us.  All I suggest
is that we should consider the need.

Phil Nisbet