[Vision2020] Bad Science

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 17:03:16 PST 2006

Phil, Pat, John D. et. al.

I agree with John D. that it is questionable to imply the Science Magazine
article [*Science* (vol 310, p 1313)] referenced in a newspaper report "bad
science," if that is indeed what Phil intended.  He did not make it
perfectly clear if he thought the actual Science Magazine article in
question to be "bad science," or just that the newspaper article he
referenced that reported on this article contained errors.

One of the critical conclusions of the Science Magazine article, that the
levels of atmospheric of CO2 are now higher than at any time in the past
650,000 years, is reported in the newspaper article Phil calls "bad
science."  However, I agree with Phil this newspaper article needed some
editing for accuracy, and that the ignorance of basic scientific thinking on
the part of many in all forms of public reporting does a disservice to the
public when they distort the findings of science.

Phil wrote:

"...the reporter could not have come near to this bad a job of reporting if
the artilce it is grounded in was clearer."

It is easy to make errors reporting the highly technical, very complex and
abstract theoretical details of science, even when the scientists make their
ideas as clear as humanly possible.  The reporter may have not done his
homework for the newspaper article you found flawed.

Please quote the Science Magazine article in question to demonstrate the
lack of clarity you reference.  Science Magazine articles are among the most
carefully reviewed and edited in the world of science.

Two links are offered below, one for a pdf version, for text directly from
the Science Magazine in question discussing the ice core CO2 findings:

http://www.climate.unibe.ch/~stocker/papers/brook05sci.pdf.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Yv0eumtbdAYJ:www.climate.unibe.ch/~stocker/papers/brook05sci.pdf+science+vol.+310+page+1313&hl=en

Here is another report on the same Science Magazine article that does not
demonstrate the Science Magazine article in question lacked clarity, with
links to related articles and web sites at the bottom:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8369

Record ice core reveals Earth's ancient atmosphere

   - 19:00 24 November 2005
   - NewScientist.com news service
   - David L Chandler

[image: A thin cut of the ice core shows the dark bubbles of ancient
atmosphere, trapped in dark bubbles between ice grains (Image: W
Berner/University of
Bern)]<http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn8369/dn8369-1_500.jpg>
Enlarge
image<http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn8369/dn8369-1_500.jpg>
A thin cut of the ice core shows the dark bubbles of ancient atmosphere,
trapped in dark bubbles between ice grains (Image: W Berner/University of
Bern)
[image: Drill head and ice core from a depth of 2874 metres - this section
was drilled in November 2002 (Image: L
Augustin/LGGE)]<http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn8369/dn8369-2_450.jpg>
Enlarge
image<http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn8369/dn8369-2_450.jpg>
Drill head and ice core from a depth of 2874 metres - this section was
drilled in November 2002 (Image: L Augustin/LGGE)

The longest ice-core record of climate history ever obtained has hugely
extended the detailed history of Earth's atmosphere, and shows that levels
of greenhouse gases really do march in lockstep with changes in temperature.

The frozen record of the Earth's atmosphere is 3270 metres long and covers
the last 650,000 years – 50% longer than before. It was obtained from the
tiny air bubbles trapped in a deep ice core from Antarctica.

The tight coupling between temperatures and the greenhouse gas levels
revealed by the core matches the predictions from climate models used to
forecast future global warming. It also bears some good news: the warm
interglacial periods between ice ages can last a long time, contrary to the
view that we may already be due for the onset of the next ice age.

The European Project for Ice Coring in Antarctica (EPICA) team has spent
years drilling the ice core in Antarctica's Ice Dome Concordia. They had
previously analysed its record of global temperatures, but have just
completed the detailed analysis of the trapped air. The bubbles record how
the planet's atmosphere changed over six ice ages and the warmer periods in
between. But during all that time, the atmosphere has never had anywhere
near the levels of greenhouse gases seen today.

Today's level of 380 parts per million of carbon dioxide is 27% above its
previous peaks of about 300 ppm, according to the team led by Thomas Stocker
of the University of Bern in Switzerland.
Validation and refinement

Edward Brook, an ice-core researcher at Oregon State University, US, who was
not involved in the project, told *New Scientist* that the good match
between climate model behaviour and the ice core data "really validates" the
models' predictions of what should happen as greenhouse gas levels increase.
The precise new data in addition provides baselines that can be used to
further refine climate models, Brook says.

The data also show that half of the previous six interglacial periods each
lasted nearly 30,000 years – far longer than the roughly 10,000 years of the
most recent cycles. The current interglacial period has persisted for about
10,000 years so far.

In the future, it should be possible to push the record even further back.
The ice core dates back to 890,000 years ago but has yet to be analysed. And
Brook adds: "There is undoubtedly 2-million-year old ice there. But we need
to see it in sequence" in order to determine the ages of different layers.
That may be hard, as ice sheets are dynamic, and layers can be shuffled.

However, such a long record would be of great interest because it would
cross the boundary when, for unknown reasons, the duration of complete
ice-age cycles suddenly shifted from 40,000 years to 100,000 years. Those
cycles are known through measurements of isotopic variation in sea floor
sediments.

Journal reference: *Science* (vol 310, p 1313)
 Related Articles

   - Interview: The ice man
cometh<http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18825272.000>
   - http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18825272.000