[Vision2020] Quantum Debate (Final)

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 25 21:36:58 PST 2006

Nick

The excahnge was me saying Einstein's quantum theory and you rejoindering
quantum mechanics.  Several people at the time suggested that we were
talking past each other.  The debate was on your statement that followed
that intial set stating that Einstein did not 'believe' in quantum mechanics
and that Heisenberg was the person who developed Quantum Mechanics.

Einstein developed a significant portion of early quantum theory.  Without
that, there would have been no quantum mechanics for the Three Person team
to develop.

Its about precise semantics of science and credit where credit is due.  If
you think that it can be bad in Social Sciences or Philosophy, you have
never seen science folks in a semantic food fight.  We be very nasty on
subtle points that can seem pretty esoteric to those outside of our fields.

Perhaps, as some suggested early into this, we are talking past each other
and since you did not realize there was a difference between quantum theory
and quantum mechanics, it stuck in your mind that this was something else we
were talking about.  That most likely being the case, as pointed out by Joe
Campbell a week or so ago again, I will gladly offer you my apology for
seeing this as a food fight and acting in that manner.

Phil Nisbet