[Vision2020] RE: Reader's Opinion - Stable marriages, even gay ones, are what so

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 25 20:09:00 PST 2006

Phil,

Thank you for posing a wonderful question about my use of words.  I
appreciate your comments on people taking progressive stances and your
comments on the basis of an economic conservative/libertarian position on
marriage.

To address your question, I commented on Father Faucher taking a progressive
stance based upon a couple things.  First, my observation of Father Faucher
over the years has demonstrated to me to be a fairly proactive, forward
thinking, liberal, progressive, priest in the Catholic church.  With this in
mind, Father Faucher has traditionally gone out on a limb and spoke out for
things that in my opinion are progressive or that favor an idea of better
conditions for all.  With that in mind, he has also taken stances on topics
that traditional Roman Catholicism has felt to be immoral or wrong for
society.  The stance that Father Faucher has taken numerous times on these
issues is often in direct competition of the group that he represents.

Your comment on libertarian beliefs is similar to how I would view a
libertarians stance on this very topic.  When I think of someone taking a
progressive stance on a specific topic, I think of two or more political
ideologies possibly agreeing on something that betters society as a whole.
There can be a conflict I guess when libertarian ideologies are teamed with
liberal ideologies given that a libertarian traditionally has advocated for
individual rights rather than a liberal who often likes the idea of larger
government and more control.  In the end though, I think that a libertarian
and a liberal individual could agree on many things progressive, especially
when discussing the specific marriage bill posed for vote in Idaho in
November.

In my opinion, a libertarian and a liberal individual could possibly propose
and pass several bills in the legislature and be somewhat successful.  Well
not the Idaho legislature though given the current rapid spread of red state
disease.

I support Father Faucher's stance on marriage and wish more people would
take this stance as well.  To me, a marriage is a marriage as long as both
parties are happy, healthy, and successfully cohabitating with the normal
problems any relationship faces.

In my opinion, this marriage amendment is based upon the almighty dollar.
Business and insurance companies do not want to pay for someone's health
insurance coverage unless they absolutely have to.  By passing this
amendment, business interests will not even have to consider paying health
costs for homosexual relationships.

I hope I have answered your question.  If not feel free to email me off list
and we can discuss in more detail.  It was good to receive an email from you
again.  Enjoy Moscow for me and drink a couple beers on my behalf at John's
Alley.

Tim
"In sport, we have moved away from honorable behavior." - Dr. Sharon Stoll,
University of Idaho

"Revolution is not a word but an application; it is not war but peace; it
does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause separation; it
generates togetherness." -John Africa, Strategic Revolution