[Vision2020] Petition

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Fri Feb 17 19:05:23 PST 2006

It is important to remember that our region has been hit with several
severe economic blasts - and they are still bouncing around:
    * UI was required to reduce their budgets by $30 million (10
million a year for 3 years - we are just finishing the second
year).  This particular impact has about a $90 million impact if the
velocity of the money is only 3.
    * Fuel/Energy prices took a real surge this fall and the prospect
for future prices is expected to remain high - at least through next summer
    * Local property taxes took a big hike for many - as
re-evaluation issues were implemented.
    * Enrollments at UI have been down the past three years (not as
many fannies in the seats!)
    * Salaries and wages have remained flat (some relief in sight
with recent salary adjustments, but the overall trend appears to be low)
    * Many positions at UI (previously filled with terminally
qualified faculty) remain unfilled, with classes taught by lower paid
instructors and grad students - this will likely continue for awhile.
All of the above impact, negatively, the disposable income available
to residents.

Smaller businesses usually operate on a rather thin capital base and
when consumer demand is affected by reduced income/economic pressures
(as noted above) specialty shops often can't make it.  One real
advantage for mall type operations, however, is that smaller
businesses can get in (and out) rather quickly (subject to the terms
of the lease agreement)

On the positive side, residential construction (spurred by low
interest rates) helped to ease the full effects of the economic
pressures noted above on the local economy. But as the proposed
restrictions for additional development emerge, this aspect of the
local economy is likewise expected to feel some pressure.

In 2004-05, the Latah - Nez Perce region was one of the only regions
that did not report economic growth (according to state stats).

When a local economy is dependent mostly on entitlements and other
transfers from the public sector, the economy is going to be driven
or challenged by the relative stability of those transfers.  Our best
prospects for economic stability and growth are going to be found in
encouraging value-added export businesses to locate here.  Otherwise,
we will likely muddle around as we have.  I think Pullman and Whitman
County have figured that out.