[Vision2020] Candidate, Former Marine, Says Bush Should Be Impeached

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:27:07 PST 2006

My responses below Donovan's:

>Sunil,
>
>  The impeachment takes place in the House of  Representatives. The Senate
>does not vote on impeachment, EVER. It  votes to remove or not remove the
>President based only on the charges  set forth by the House of
>Representatives.

Donovan, you've just restated what I said.  The House impeaches, but that's
where the charge is brought.  The charge is tried by the Senate.  They
decide by voting.  Sure, that never happens if the House doesn't vote on it
themselves and send it up, but the ultimate decision will be made by the
Senate, with a vote.  If you want to insist that this does not amount to
voting on impeachment, you're playing a strange word game.

>  And no, the  correct place to start with the process of removing a person
>from  political office is not with a resolution, but with consensus that a
>crime has been committed.

>From this randomly Googled site:
http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/impeachments/
I extract and offer you this quote:

"Impeachment resolutions made by members of the House of Representatives are
turned over to the House Judiciary Committee which decides whether the
resolution and its allegations of wrongdoing by the President merits a
referral to the full House for a vote on launching a formal impeachment
inquiry. "

Fine, maybe it starts with consensus that a crime has been committed.  But
without a resolution, seems to me that consensus consists of a lot of people
talking and nothing else happening.

>  I do not agree with Bush's decision  to go to war, but then again I did
>not vote for the War Resolution that  60% of Democrats did. It Bush is
>impeachable for what happened in Iraq  so is every Senator that voted to go
>to war.

Not if they weren't cherry-picking intelligence.  Are they culpable?  For
cowardice, sure, but the ultimate decision was Bush's.  He could have waited
for the inspectors to complete their work.  He didn't, and later he claimed
Saddam didn't let them in.

>   Why is it that Senators are not impeachable for giving a drunken idiot
>unchecked use of the US Military?

I don't think what they did was impeachable.  I think it was cowardly, and I
am ashamed of the Democrats who voted for the war.  There's Hillary,
positioning herself for the next election and still pro-war.  I also think
the Republicans timed the vote before the election because they knew the
Democrats were afraid to vote against it.  And I think their calculation was
correct: The Democrats would have been voted out if they voted against the
war.

Who do we blame for that?  Don't we all have to look in the mirror?