[Vision2020] Slavery, Human Rights and Programs of Interest

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Mon Feb 6 10:13:03 PST 2006

Thanks to Toney Driver and the Moscow Human Rights Commission I was reminded of this and thought Visionaries would be interested as well.  Also, don't forget the second annual action oriented human rights conference, Finding the Center, is coming up on March 24, 25 and 26. FTC is jointly sponsored by the City of Moscow, City of Pullman, UI and WSU. They have a very complete website and registration forms. Scholarships are available! See:  www.uidaho.edu/ftc

Coming to PBS on Feb. 9th and the 16th from 9PM to 11PM is the
four part series Slavery And The Making Of America, produced
by Dante James, and narrated by Morgan Freeman. Dante is an
incredible film maker who has produced many award wining
films among them biographies on Marian Anderson and A. Philip
Randolph. He worked with the late great film maker Henry
Hampton at Blackside and was the executive producer of
Hampton's last series This Far By Faith: African American
Spiritual Journeys.

Slavery And The Making Of America tells the story of slavery
from the point of view of the enslaved. The series recognizes
the strength, humanity and dignity of the enslaved. While I have not seen the film, I would bet folding money on the value and credibility of this presentation, quite the contrast to some other historic views of this period in American history that have been centers of discussion in and around Moscow in the recent past.

Watch it and make your own judgments. Encourage your friends and family to watch. Let PBS know your response to the series. If we can create a large audience for this important series, PBS will be more likely to produce and air more programs that address the African-
American experience. There are also two web sites for the series:
www.pbs.org/slavery and www.slaveryinamerica.com

Be sure to tune in.

All the best,

Linda Pall