[Vision2020] Black History equals Slavery?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 13:39:17 PST 2006

I think it is wonderful of Councilwomen Linda Pall to bring to our attention Black History by providing such information.

  However, I am curious as to why it seems that the only Black  History  we discuss is about how Black people were slaves and how  they were badly treated and discriminated against in the United States.

  There is so much more to Black history and culture than this, thousands  of years of worth of culture, history, language, and customs. Why do we  ignore it?

  Why not a film or presentation on Black History instead of it just always being Black Slavery and Civil Rights History?

  Thanks,

  Donovan J Arnold

Linda Pall <lpall at moscow.com> wrote:                Thanks  to Toney Driver and the Moscow Human Rights Commission I was reminded  of this and thought Visionaries would be interested as well.   Also, don't forget the second annual action oriented human rights  conference, Finding the Center, is coming up on March 24, 25 and 26.  FTC is jointly sponsored by the City of Moscow, City of Pullman, UI and  WSU. They have a very complete website and registration forms.  Scholarships are available! See:  www.uidaho.edu/ftc

  Coming to PBS on Feb. 9th and the 16th from 9PM to 11PM is the
four part series Slavery And The Making Of America, produced
by Dante   James, and narrated by Morgan Freeman. Dante is an
incredible film maker who   has produced many award wining
films among them biographies on Marian   Anderson and A. Philip
Randolph. He worked with the late great film maker   Henry
Hampton at Blackside and was the executive producer of
Hampton's   last series This Far By Faith: African American
Spiritual Journeys.

  Slavery And The Making Of America tells the story of slavery
from the point of view of the enslaved. The series recognizes
the  strength, humanity and dignity of the enslaved. While I have not seen  the film, I would bet folding money on the value and credibility of  this presentation, quite the contrast to some other historic views of  this period in American history that have been centers of discussion in  and around Moscow in the recent past.

  Watch  it and make your own judgments. Encourage your friends and family to  watch. Let PBS know your response to the series. If we can create  a large audience for this important series, PBS will be more  likely to produce and air more programs that address the African-
American experience. There are also two web sites for the series:
www.pbs.org/slavery and www.slaveryinamerica.com

  Be sure to tune in.

  All the best,

  Linda Pall