[Vision2020] Pat Kraut, area churches, and teachings abouthomosexuality

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Thu Feb 2 09:18:07 PST 2006

Mr. Crabtree,

Perhaps I could have been clearer but I never claimed that Wilson was evil because he attempted to change Moscow’s laws about proper dress. I said that this action was a public one and gave me a right to comment and critique his views. Just as my attempts to keep Wal-Mart out of Moscow are public actions and give you the right to critique my views. The evil, I claimed, came in the form of Wilson’s deliberately offensive comments toward gays and lesbians. No one has the right to be deliberately offensive. (Which is why I appologized to you about my own deliberately offensive, public comments directed toward you.)

Also, I wish you would show some consistency. If Wilson’s comments are protected under the freedoms of speech and religion, then my criticisms of him are similarly covered. My comments and position are based on my own religious and moral viewpoints. It amazes me that you would let a man whitewash the history of American slavery under the name of ‘freedom’ yet call folks who criticize him ‘intolerant.’ What an incredible double standard that is.

Furthermore, if Wilson’s lobbying efforts have no affect on my freedoms (a point I have never denied), then my lobbying efforts have no affect on your freedoms. So stop making comments to the effect that the anti-Wal-Mart crowd is trying to restrict freedom. By your own words we cannot do so, it is the elected officials – and ultimately the voters – who will keep Super Wal-Mart out of Moscow, if in fact that happens. No one is restricting anyone's freedoms here. This is how our democratic process works. Again, just try to follow your own general principles and show a little consistency.

--
Joe Campbell

---- "g. crabtree" <jampot at adelphia.net> wrote:

Mr. Campbell seems to forget that while Mr. Wilson was fore square in favor
of changes to the ordinances pertaining to proper dress, he did not change
them. For that we had seven elected officials. Mr. Wilson and his
congregation very actively lobbied for a change in much the same way that
others are trying to make sure our fair flower of a town won't be sullied by
a Wal-Mart superstore. Somehow this makes him "evil" and the no to WM crowd
the chosen ones?

gc