[Vision2020] January 24 Hot Sheet

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Feb 2 09:01:23 PST 2006

Jennifer,

Thank you for making the changes in the Hot Sheet.  I found them useful and
informative.

First, the details of the details of the apprehensions gives the public an
informative view of how the law enforcement officer operated in the
situations you describe.  [Your terse but informative writing style belies
but makes one greatly appreciate your degree in English.]  It doesn't take
much imagination from the reader to see that if not professionally and
carefully handled some of the incidents could have escalated into major
unplesantnesses.

Second, when names and photos appear, neighbors and associates of the
alleged perpetrator are made aware of the problem and can take appropriate
precautions. This awareness also might lead to the discovery of further
information about the alleged perpetrator and other possibly criminal
activities by motivating the public to provide such information.  It doesn't
take much imagination to see that public knowledge of certain crimes would
alert parents, for example, to take some very prudent, definitive
precautions.

Third, we have already discussed the increased amount of individual and
general deterrence that can take place when individuals names, photos, and
alleged crimes are published in a public forum.  I have given you before
some actual evidence from Boundary County.  I hope that the area newspapers
will have the courage, wisdom, and determination to follow your and the
sheriff's bold initiative in this area.  Of course, there is always the
question of the innocence of those identified.  However, I think even the
dimmest of the public know that there is a difference between an arrest and
a conviction.  But an arrest does signify the high probability of probable
cause -- at least at the time of arrest there was a greater chance than not
that the alleged crime(s) took place in the opinion of the law enforcement
officer(s).

Thank you again for your and the sheriff's innovations.  I hope that the
nature of the changes you have made in the Hot Sheet can be expanded even
more and will lead to greater awareness of the public of the nature and
importance of law enforcement activity and also lead to a reduction in
crime.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421