[Vision2020] Applying for Law School

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Fri Dec 22 16:27:11 PST 2006

Also, there used to be a book or booklet that had about a page per law school.  I think it was put out by the AALS, Association of American Law Schoools, and that listed a lot of the info about admission requirements.  they had a useful grid showing percentage of applicants that got admitted with varying combinations of GPA and LSAT scores.  Those kind of "guidebooks" in annual paperback editions are also available.

http://www.aals.org/

You also want to go from there to the Law School Admission council's site, as they may have the resource I listed above.  http://www.lsac.org/
I couldn't help myself, this stuff is mostly on-line now.  The world changes in 25 years, whodathunkit?
http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString=

Without question, your employment opportunites are affected by the location of your school.  For most schools, the employers interviewing are nearby, almost all within the state or region.  If you go to a so-called "national" law school, you will find national law firms interviewing, though they will be persnickety in who they will talk to, preferring the top students only, if the placement office will let them do that.

My sense is that law schools are less interested in taking experience and extracurriculars into account when reviewing applications for admission.  They are much more likely to be based on predominantly on the objective criteria of grades and LSAT score.  Business schools, in contrast, are much more interested in work experience and extracurriculars, though for them grades and the GMAT are still important, moreso, obviously, as you proceed up to the highest echelons.  But in general the B-Schools will take a broader look at the student.

For you to figure out where you are likely to be admitted, get the book I mentioned or cruise the web site.

Good luck.

BDL